- - - - -

Genlisea Pygmaea Surprise...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fernando Rivadavia

Fernando Rivadavia
  • Full Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:CPs in the wild, especially Drosera, Pinguicula, Genlisea, and Utrics

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:19 AM

Hello to all,

Have any of you received the December 2007 CPN issue yet??? :)

Best Wishes, Fernando Rivadavia

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia, 11 December 2007 - 03:20 AM.

#2 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:24 AM

Not yet reached these shores.

#3 Marcel van den Broek

Marcel van den Broek
  • Full Members
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:all carnivorous plants

Posted 11 December 2007 - 16:22 PM

Haven't seen it here on the mainland yet Fernando.

#4 Guest_Sheila_*

Guest_Sheila_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 16:57 PM

Got mine this morning :banging:

#5 BobZ

BobZ
  • Full Members
  • 719 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:39 AM

Fernando, your article about G. pygmaea tubers is a mind-blower!

For ICPS members, the PDF of the December issue of CPN has been online for about a week Sign in to your account at
http://icps.clubexpress.com/

#6 Guest_Sheila_*

Guest_Sheila_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

I hadn't read my copy when I posted earlier, but your report is as Bob says mind Blowing. It's amazing that the possibility of tubers wasn't looked into earlier when Thomas Carow first reported them, and your confirmation and photographic evidence after all this time is an exciting discovery for all Genlisea growers

#7 Siggi_Hartmeyer

Siggi_Hartmeyer
  • Full Members
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Our CP collection and private CP-video production

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

Four days ago "CPN" arrived also in Germany. Fernando your article is most interesting: well done! However, I hesitate to let my G. pygmaea dry out to force the development of a tuber. The plant grows nicely without any dormant period since about two years now and it would be a pity to eventually kill it with an artificial drought. Or would you encourage me to try it?

#8 Pyro

Pyro
  • Members
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:CPs, Whitewater, SciFi

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hello Fernando,

I was quite bummed out when Barry told me my article was bumped in favor of one that had a major impact. But Barry assured me that I would be okay with it when I saw what replaced it. And indeed he was correct. Very impressive find.

#9 Andreas Fleischmann

Andreas Fleischmann
  • Full Members
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Drosera! Parasitic Plants

Posted 22 December 2007 - 21:45 PM

Dear Bob,

For ICPS members, the PDF of the December issue of CPN has been online for about a week Sign in to your account at
http://icps.clubexpress.com/

Hhmm, that's strange. I can only find CPN back issues until the September 2007 volume at the "members only" site. Has it been removed again?

Unfortunately, I did not receive the December 2007 issue yet, thus I will have to wait impatiently until I can finally read Fernandos article.

Andreas

#10 Marcel van den Broek

Marcel van den Broek
  • Full Members
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:all carnivorous plants

Posted 22 December 2007 - 22:02 PM

Don't feel alone Andreas.
I haven't got it yet either :laugh:

Waiting....

#11 BobZ

BobZ
  • Full Members
  • 719 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants

Posted 22 December 2007 - 22:57 PM

Andreas & Marcel,

WHOOPS! Sorry. I did indeed upload the PDF file, but I forgot to add the December 2007 link to the index page. I thought that I had checked all the pages, but I missed that one. It is now fixed. :laugh:

Thank you very much for informing me about my blunder. Without your assistance, others would have become equally frustrated.

#12 Fernando Rivadavia

Fernando Rivadavia
  • Full Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:CPs in the wild, especially Drosera, Pinguicula, Genlisea, and Utrics

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:17 AM

Hello to all,

Sheila: I am also still amazed that this was missed for so long, but I guess that can be explained by the fact that tubers are probably only attached to rosettes for a very shot time at the end of the wet season. Before that, there is only a rosette and after only a lonely tuber which you could only say belonged to a Genlisea through DNA sequencing. Maybe there's also a short period at the end of the dry season when you can find a new rosette still attached to a dying tuber. So you have very narrow windows to observe tubers with rosettes, which is why it eluded everyone for such a long time.

Siggi: Please note that I wrote that only one form of G.pygmaea (the large one) seems to form tubers. I can not vouch for all forms, but a middle-sized one further west did not have tubers at the same time of year.

Pyro: sorry for bumping your article, I'm sure it must be something interesting too! ;)

And for those of you who want to badger Andreas F., he's got tubers & seed of this plant!!! :):) Please tell us how the tubers have behaved over the past 6 months!!

Best Wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. I've lost contact with Thomas Carow, could someone give me his e-mail? Please write me: fe_riva@uol.com.br

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia, 23 December 2007 - 08:19 AM.

#13 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:53 AM

Still waiting for my copy... :(

#14 Pyro

Pyro
  • Members
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:CPs, Whitewater, SciFi

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:14 PM

Pyro: sorry for bumping your article, I'm sure it must be something interesting too! ;)

No worries :)

Come March (I hope) you can evaluate for yourself if my article is interesting :)