- - - - -

Drosophyllum Worn Out?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 17 September 2007 - 19:58 PM

Hi
Two of my Drosophyllum have recently died :lol: One was about three years old and grown under glass. The other was 18 months old and always outside. Both had flowered like mad recently, with flower stems outnumbering the actual leaves. When I cut the woody stems back they were dry and hollow, as if the effort of flowering drained the plants resources. A third plant which flowered briefly earlier this summer with a couple of flower stems is looking fine with loads of new growth. Is it likely that it was simply the effort of supporting all these flowers and the seed production that followed that killed the plants?

Posted Image

This photo was taken in May when it just had a couple or so flower stems. It carried on growing happily till about a month or so ago when loads more flower stalks appeared. And all the leaves dried up! As have the flower stems now.

cheers

bill

#2 elgecko

elgecko
  • Full Members
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:hiking, photography, mountain biking, canoeing, bonsai, carnivorous plants, fossil hunting, MtG, etc

Posted 17 September 2007 - 21:24 PM

I had my plant growing over 2 and a half years till it died.
It died after flowering.

Before:
Posted Image

During:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

I started a new plant from the seed I collected.