- - - - -

Some Amorphophallus photos

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hi
Here are a few shots of two of my tropical Amorphophallus plants.

Posted Image

A. titanum

Posted Image

A. titanum

Posted Image

A. titanum petiole

Posted Image

A. decus-silvae

Posted Image

A. decus-silvae

Posted Image

A. decus-silvae petiole

Posted Image

A. decus-silvae petiole

cheers

bill

#2 Sweep

Sweep
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

I really like your plants, very impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Gill. :twisted:

#3 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:58 PM

What a strange name for a plant...! :-O

#4 -=Joel=-

-=Joel=-
  • Full Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 13:42 PM

Very nice !!

Did you grow your A. titanum from seed ? Been after one for a while but they go for stupid money lol.

#5 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2007 - 16:30 PM

Still alive eh Bill. :shock:

Joel - Seed must be very fresh. I'd guess no more than approx. four weeks off the mother plant or it will rot every time. Fresh, viable seed will germinate near instantaneously.

#6 tom499

tom499
  • Full Members
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Droseraceae, Lentibulariaceae

Posted 19 July 2007 - 17:19 PM

I've got a A. konjac

Theres this site called www.bertramsblooms.co.uk or something very similiar that sell A. bulbs for good prices, i paid £6 i think and its put out foliage similiar to the ones in these pics. He does other varieties too.

Bulbs are way easier, just stick them in some water retentive well drained soil (oxymoron intended ;) ) and it grows great with a bit of water, sunshine and warmth. Hopefully will flower next year. The growth of them is amazing, you can measure a growth of maybe 2cm a day when they get going, and i love the spotted stems.

#7 schimatrix

schimatrix
  • Full Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 17:51 PM

Hi Bill, nice pictures! how tall is the titanum at the moment? the second pic makes me think it is quite tall :)
giu

p.s. sorrry Bill, I'm sure you have already answered to the following question before.. :shock:
what is the nepenthes in your stunning avatar?

#8 greenBen

greenBen
  • Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Plants/gardening

Posted 19 July 2007 - 17:52 PM

If you only paid £6 for an A. konjac chances are it wasn't very big; expect a good five years+ before it flowers!

Also USE THE HIGH NITRO FERTILISER!!! Feed once every ten days through the growing season- this will help the tuber grow. Mine grow from the size of a grape to the size of a good orange in ONE YEAR!

As they get bigger they can get fussy, so be prepared for to lose it (sorry but it's true) but there are more nurseries stocking them these days so the price will come down and there are people working out how to get the best from each species.

Konjac is really worth growing (and is a hardier species!).

greenBen

#9 obregon562

obregon562
  • Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Lacrosse, girls, other sports, girls, surfing, girls, mantids...duh cps...<br /><br />Im not a good spelar :)<br /><br />Hope to one day create N./S. obregonii<br /><br />Semi-dare devil!

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:24 AM

i love it! tell us if it flowers! hopefully by then there will be smell-o-vision for the computer! :lol:

or maybe not

#10 John Jearrard

John Jearrard
  • Full Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 22:42 PM

Just for interest, I took a couple of photo's of Amorphophallus titanum when the CPS visited Kew last week.
Posted Image
It is probably worth noting the sized, for those planning to grow it in a greenhouse in the UK (that is a standard sized wheelbarrow you can see!)

#11 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 00:00 AM

for those planning to grow it in a greenhouse in the UK

Mine live in the kitchen... :mrgreen:

#12 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

Hi Bill, nice pictures! how tall is the titanum at the moment? the second pic makes me think it is quite tall :)
giu

p.s. sorrry Bill, I'm sure you have already answered to the following question before.. :shock:
what is the nepenthes in your stunning avatar?

Hi schimatrix
Its about 2 feet at the moment from the soil. I got it as a small tuber from Troy in 2005. The decus-silvae is about 18 inches tall and is from a seed also got in 2005. This was it emerging!:

Posted Image

My avatar is of my N. talangensis x maxima "Lady Pauline" a favorite Nep hybrid of mine. :lol:

Joel- As Aidan said the seed must be ultra fresh to germinate. Seed from Troy was either growing on arrival or germinated in 24 hours! I tried some seed from ebay without sucess despite being assured it was fresh! :?

For the moment there seems to be no decent source of either tubers or seed.

cheers

bill

#13 schimatrix

schimatrix
  • Full Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Hi schimatrix
Its about 2 feet at the moment from the soil. I got it as a small tuber from Troy in 2005. .

lovely! :-) I must contact Troy as well;
I would love to give it a try; I would grow it in a small balcony though :? (even if Aidan's experience is encouraging with regard to this :lol: :shock: )

My avatar is of my N. talangensis x maxima "Lady Pauline" a favorite Nep hybrid of mine. :D

Bill, please, put me in the wish list for that beauty! :)
all the best

giu

#14 campbell

campbell
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:30 AM

string along
Posted Image

maybe is Amorphophallus stipitatus or. Amorphophallus yunnanensis

#15 tom499

tom499
  • Full Members
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Droseraceae, Lentibulariaceae

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

How big will the foliage be for flowering size? Mine is about foot high from the base to the foliage, Then it has a 50cm leaf spread.