- - - - -

Darlingtonia

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_FredG_*

Guest_FredG_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:10 PM

I find that Darlingtonia grown without direct sunlight have less colour and smaller tongues.
They look far happier in full sun in my view.

I have a largish tub on the greenhouse floor which still receives some direct sunlight, the plants are green :D

The equivalent plants on the staging planted in a seed tray at the same time have colour and bigger tongues :D

However, other's experiences seem to be a lot different.
I've never experienced the 'sudden death syndrome'. :D

#22 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:39 PM

After last year's experience when I had 20-30 plants drop dead (could have been either heat or fungal) in the space of a month, all are now outside in semi-shaded conditions.

#23 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 22 June 2007 - 14:27 PM

hmm...mine really dropped dead in one single day, before I left for word they at least seemed fine..
That's why I'm cautious now, I haven't got a greenhouse, just my balcony! :)
Let's say I could shield the pot from sun, but see to it the top gets sun, would that help?

#24 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 18:30 PM

After last year's experience when I had 20-30 plants drop dead (could have been either heat or fungal) in the space of a month, all are now outside in semi-shaded conditions.

yes, I lost most of my plants last year as well, and the survivors are now outside...

#25 Guest_FredG_*

Guest_FredG_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 18:50 PM

OK.... then let's look at the evidence

I grow directly in trays in direct sunlight I have never suffered 'sudden death syndrome'.

Aidan and Stephen have.

Do either grow Darlingtonia planted directly into shallow trays in sphagnum?

#26 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 22 June 2007 - 19:35 PM

OK.... then let's look at the evidence

I grow directly in trays in direct sunlight I have never suffered 'sudden death syndrome'.

Aidan and Stephen have.

I planted them in a mix of 50/50 perlite/sphag-peat. The pot had a diameter of 5inches, height of 4inches.
I only had the plant for about one month, I ordered it bare-rooted on ebay. And it was only a slow-grower. hmm. hope I fare better next time.

#27 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 21:36 PM

No... but there is often a fair bit of Sphagnum involved. :D

#28 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 22:36 PM

every time i read sphagnum i read shag in my head.

as in shag rug, of course.

#29 louisduddridge

louisduddridge
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 22:33 PM

I have had an idea, you could top dress the pot of darlingtonia in perlite to reflect the sun. you would have to be careful if watering from the top though that the perlite wouldn't all float away.

Edited by louisduddridge, 15 September 2007 - 22:06 PM.

#30 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 22:45 PM

Perlite is soon colonised by algae and turns green. One reason why I don't use the stuff.

#31 jorick

jorick
  • Members
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:cp's

Posted 11 August 2007 - 19:02 PM

I grow mine to in full sun but I don't use a normal tray for them. A fellow Belgian grower who grows Darlings like weed ( and from who I bought the plants ) learned me this trick: keep them outside in full sun but make shure that they never dry out and keep the waterlevel high, about half the way of the pot or even higher. I followed his instructions and mine survived some rather hot weather in full sun, there are some pitchers turning brown but there is lot's of new growth and the plants seem to like the conditions.

Here is pic to show you what I mean:

Posted Image

I hope I could help a bit.