Lots of ´How-To´ videos

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan P.

Stefan P.
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 19:37 PM

At least beginners might find some of the following ´how-to´videos interesting and useful, so I post them in the FAQ section:

Carnivorous Plants in general (including propagation & dormacy) (15 videos)

How To Care For a Venus Flytrap (15 videos)

Raising Sarracenia (14 videos)

How to Build Terrariums & Vivariums (15 videos)

#2 vitafit

vitafit
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:CP, gardens, bonsai, ponds, funghi

Posted 09 June 2007 - 20:56 PM

thanks for the post, i havent watched all but as a relative newbie i have found these interesting

#3 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,671 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 09 June 2007 - 22:52 PM

During the first video i watched, the guy proved hes either a fake/idiot, or nervous on camera. Why don't we compile a list of errors, should be fun. Personally i got switched off and don't want to waste my time on the rest of the videos.

#4 Mikei

Mikei
  • Members
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Nepenthes

Posted 09 June 2007 - 23:19 PM

ya they were okay videos
that guy was weird
Mikei

#5 Slater

Slater
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:20 AM

I've watched most of these videos and some of the things he says are contradictory to what I've heard elsewhere.

In the feeding venus fly trap video, he feeds the trap a dead insect :? He just places it in and leaves it......... I though the insect had to be alive to stimulate the hairs in the trap :?

In the Watering Pitcher Plants video, he says it's safe to use tap water as long as it has been left out in a bucket for 24 hours :lol:

#6 Stefan P.

Stefan P.
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 13:45 PM

During the first video i watched, the guy proved hes either a fake/idiot, or nervous on camera. Why don't we compile a list of errors, should be fun. Personally i got switched off and don't want to waste my time on the rest of the videos.

(I really wish my English was better!)

Maders, thank you very much for your ´constructive´ criticism.

Fist of all I want to stress, that I accredit your seemingly rich knowledge on the topic (and I really mean it this way!).
I think that you could safely say that I am far from being as experienced and knowledged in growing carnivourous plants as you are, but I think that I can keep up when it comes to modes of interaction and politeness.

My intention was just to share the information behind that links I found on the internet with other growers, especially beginners, as they (me included) may find lots of accumulated basic (multimedia!) information there. Nothing more and nothing less. Just because of that I asked in another thread, if W. Major maybe was well known for spreading false information, so I would have deleted or at least edited this thread.

The videos he did, obviously were intended to adress beginners and/or the general public and not to meet ´scientific standards´ or to replace a good book in any way.
He just had to put as much information as possible into those about two minute video segments, he most likely didn´t get paid for.
Well, it seems he did many of the videos in one single take, seemingly not scripted too much and without using a teleprompter. By doing this he obviously offers a huge ´contact surface´ so it´s not too hard to find some points one doesn´t agree with.
(Btw., here´s another point for you to start with: he suggests to fill Nepenthes pitchers half way up with destilled or rainwater! At least controversial, isn´t it?)

But how about your posts in this forum, are you really sure you´ve been inerrable all the time?

And, calling him an ´idiot´, how about just doing it better and producing and publishing some videos (or cp-documentarys!) yourself?
Or at least posting some video links you consider to comply with your demanding standards, instead of just ´shaking up´ beginners?
But of course it´s much more easy to criticize other peoples´s work, insn´t it?
Have you considered, that he may also be an experienced grower and that his ways of getting things done may have worked fine for him for many years?

If you know better ways or think that he is doing completely wrong, I strongly encourage you to post your ideas here!
But please consider doing this in a little more precise and little less destructive way.

By doing so, you really would add something useful to the FAQs.

With my humble efforts I just wanted to follow the ´take a little, give a little´ idea, which - as far as I know - makes the engine that keeps a forum running. But maybe I´d better reconsider.

So let me finish with a quotation:

"As an experienced grower they may be of no use to you, but the threads you refer to are examples that answer basic questions which are asked repeatedly.
Please feel free to make your own contributions to this area of the forum.
It is up to members to make the FAQ section a success."

#7 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,671 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 10 June 2007 - 15:49 PM

And, calling him an ´idiot´, how about just doing it better and producing and publishing some videos (or cp-documentarys!) yourself?
Or at least posting some video links you consider to comply with your demanding standards, instead of just ´shaking up´ beginners?
But of course it´s much more easy to criticize other peoples´s work, insn´t it?
Have you considered, that he may also be an experienced grower and that his ways of getting things done may have worked fine for him for many years?

If the guy puts himself forward some kind of guru, which he does, and i don't, i've certainly killed more plants than i can remember, he has to expect some criticisms when he says idiotic things. He should also try to avoid errors.

Maybe i just havent tried enough times, but my seeds have never germinated in the fridge...

Maybe somebody out there has done that? If so, then i'm wrong, hey it happens :lol:

#8 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 18:06 PM

If you know better ways or think that he is doing completely wrong, I strongly encourage you to post your ideas here!

Manders along with many others have already done so and continue to do so. Good information resulting from years of experience is freely available to all and may usually be located with a simple forum search.

#9 Guest_Sheila_*

Guest_Sheila_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 22:21 PM

The trouble with making blanket statements like if tap water stands for twenty four hours it is ok to use, is that he is obviously in a soft water area to be able to do that. If most of us here did that with our plants they would slowly be poisoned with the lime in it and our plants would be very unhealthy if they survived any length of time at all.

Some of the things he says are quite correct, but equally some are not and I don't believe anyone should rely on all of what he says as being correct facts. Always double check before you do something your plants life could depend on. The beauty of a site like this is you can get several opinions and go with the majority.

#10 Stefan P.

Stefan P.
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 21:06 PM

manders, it's not primarily what you said, but how you said it. :wink:
That was what I intended to be the main issue of my post, but maybe I should have pointed that out more clearly. :?
(Please bear with me, I am busy trying to improve my English!)

#11 vraev

vraev
  • Full Members
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Natural History
    Immunology
    David Attenborough
    Carnivorous plants
    Wild-life Photography

Posted 11 June 2007 - 21:10 PM

I think those are the Wes major videos. I don't see why u guys reacted like this. I thought he was pretty good. he is the main head at equilibriocarnivorous plants.com.

Whats wrong with the info. I used the dormancy techniques...I usued the same stratyfying sarr seeds and got success. He was using wax worms which moved to stimulate the trap.

You also see how wonderful his plants look. How would he be not considered an expert. Look: he is the head grower at ecp.....can grow those things well and is currently working on the documentary of carnivorous plants.

#12 Starman

Starman
  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Growing plants, Carnivorous plants, Orchids,History, Literature, Travelling

Posted 11 June 2007 - 22:15 PM

Are you sure they are all his plants and not someone elses?

And how would you know he is an expert? Without actually talking to him in person or extensively online you wouldnt be able to tell...but judging by those video's he seems to be fairly far off to say the least.

#13 vraev

vraev
  • Full Members
  • 881 posts
    Immunology
    David Attenborough
    Carnivorous plants
    Wild-life Photography

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:28 AM

I have talked to him by email. He "is" the head grower at equilibriocarnivorous plants. He "is" involved in making the new CP documentary.

Every one has their own style of growing plants or whatever. One cannot rule another person as the all seeing and all knowing God of any aspect. At the same time, one cannot even proclaim another person as a novice and a liar. Especially in the CP growing community, there have been many issues of things unimaginable coming true. For instance, nepenthes like to grow in well drained mixes and do not like water logged roots. I know, met a person who grows his neps in a terrarium with stagnant water with only peat moss as the media. I MYSELF grow a miranda which came with PURE peat moss as a media. This is just an example.

However, I guess this is the internet and everyone has their own opinion.

#14 Vash

Vash
  • Full Members
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:music, P&P RPG, technology, reading (prefer fiction), video gaming

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:03 AM

IMHO the wrong thing about the videos(note that I haven't seen all of them) is that this guy is trying to give advice for all CPs. I believe that all members of this forum know at least that most CPs have their own ways of growing. Trying to say something that applies to all CPs will just result in people killing their plants.

For instance, nepenthes like to grow in well drained mixes and do not like water logged roots. I know, met a person who grows his neps in a terrarium with stagnant water with only peat moss as the media. I MYSELF grow a miranda which came with PURE peat moss as a media.

That doesn't mean his plants are happy, does it? :wink:
There is a quote, in medical sciences I think, that goes "If you can't help someone at least make sure not to harm him" or something like that (my memory sucks I know).

#15 vraev

vraev
  • Full Members
  • 881 posts
    Immunology
    David Attenborough
    Carnivorous plants
    Wild-life Photography

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

well...I guess that the videos are aimed at the general public rather than the ardent CP collector who wishes to know the exact specific requirements of each plant. This is especially important considering the videos are short.

lol! My friend's neps are happy. lol! he had to remove them from the terrarium as they outgrew the 50 gallon tank in a year with numerous healthy and huge pitchers. I am growing my neps bought locally in pots with pure peat moss which have grown huge 7 - 8 inch pitchers some of which have lasted me for like 8 months so far.

#16 Starman

Starman
  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Growing plants, Carnivorous plants, Orchids,History, Literature, Travelling

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

I have talked to him by email. He "is" the head grower at equilibriocarnivorous plants. He "is" involved in making the new CP documentary.

Every one has their own style of growing plants or whatever. One cannot rule another person as the all seeing and all knowing God of any aspect. At the same time, one cannot even proclaim another person as a novice and a liar. Especially in the CP growing community, there have been many issues of things unimaginable coming true. For instance, nepenthes like to grow in well drained mixes and do not like water logged roots. I know, met a person who grows his neps in a terrarium with stagnant water with only peat moss as the media. I MYSELF grow a miranda which came with PURE peat moss as a media. This is just an example.

However, I guess this is the internet and everyone has their own opinion.

Yes I agree with everyone having their own style, but the problem is that this guy doesnt really know what hes talking about half the time. Germinating VFT seeds in a fridge? Please...

In actual fact, Nepenthes like almost pure peat moss in my opinion-I have 2 of them in almost pure peat moss. Are they unhappy? No, the mixta x maxima is over 1.5 metres tall with 4 side shoots as well as plenty of pitchers.

And I still dont think hes an expert Im sorry. From the way I see it, he came to a place where people knew nothing about CP's, and when they saw some of his growing methods worked, he got promoted.

#17 Dazkeirle

Dazkeirle
  • Full Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 13:43 PM

Some of the video's are pretty good and carry good accurate advice, especially the beginner video's and the leaf propagation ones.

Some seemed a little contradictory to what some of the experts on here have to say, which is fair enough given that everyone has there own styles and techniques.

Good post though.

#18 Slater

Slater
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 13:46 PM

He was using wax worms which moved to stimulate the trap.

It looked dead to me but anyway he also said "if you are worried an ant will run out of the trap, you can squash it first and place it in the trap" :?

#19 vraev

vraev
  • Full Members
  • 881 posts
    Immunology
    David Attenborough
    Carnivorous plants
    Wild-life Photography

Posted 12 June 2007 - 16:34 PM

meh! well....I guess everyone is free to their opinion. I am just defending those videos as they, along with the helpful advice from the ontario carnivorous plant society, terraforums and Cpuk ;) ,were very useful when I started. Its especially very useful to see videos rather than just TEXT to do this and do that. Thats my opinion. I don't care if anyone considers him a expert or not...and I don't care if he is not an expert either. But, his guide to CP growing is unique: VIDEOS and these indeed helped me a lot.

#20 Dazkeirle

Dazkeirle
  • Full Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

I agree, video makes everything a lot more digestible.

I liked a few of these so much I've embedded them within myvenusflytrap.com as i believe they have a lot of worth.

Some areas are a little off and bizarre but generally the guy is pretty good at presenting and informing.