• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ellis

Ellis
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Many!

Posted 18 December 2003 - 18:43 PM

Can anyone help me with this species I just received. I need to know the following:

Pot Size/Material

Growing Medium

Watering

Humidity

Light Requirements

Thanks!

#2 Cromp

Cromp
  • Members
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Cp, cycling, botany

Posted 18 December 2003 - 20:04 PM

Pot Size/Material
I keep my plant in a 8 cm round plastic pot in my highland terrarium.
Growing Medium
1:1:1 peat:sand:perlite.
Watering
standing in a tray on a plastic lid, watering from above twice a week.
Humidity
60-75 % at day, 90-100% at night.
Light Requirements
I keep them 25 cm from three 25 Watt fluorescent lights. Here it is:
Posted Image
Of the three Heliamphora (minor, nutans & heterodoxa) I bought from Wistuba a year ago this is the only one that is putting out adult pitchers.
I hope the other two species follow soon !

#3 Ellis

Ellis
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Many!

Posted 27 January 2004 - 16:26 PM

Thanks Cromp! Very helpful. I am getting conflicting advice on watering this plant though. Is it best to stand in water and until dryed out then add more or water more like neps, frequently and allow to drain through?

#4 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 27 January 2004 - 16:36 PM

Thanks Cromp! Very helpful. I am getting conflicting advice on watering this plant though. Is it best to stand in water and until dryed out then add more or water more like neps, frequently and allow to drain through?

Hi
I grow my Heliamphora including minor in my Highland Neps house. I have used both peat/perlite & now LFS and clay pellets equally well. I stand the plants on upturned pots and water them like Neps from above. Under my conditions I usually water once or twice a week unless I can see the compost going dry. I also water using a rose on a watering can to both water and fill the pitchers. Great plants & beautiful flowers :D

cheers

bill

#5 Rob-Rah

Rob-Rah
  • Full Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 16:48 PM

I stand nutans, minor, heterodoxa and sp 'Ilu Tepui' in the water tray with Sarracenia in summer. The water is 2-3 inches deep. They also get an overhead watering at least once a day - more like five times (if I'm at home) on very hot days. In addition, an ultrasonic humidifer blows mist over them more or less continuously in daylight in summer. In winter, they go into a basic highland tank (min 12C, high humidity) and still stand in about 1/2 inch of water, with an overhead watering every few weeks to try to keep the soil fresh. They do fine.

As far as I can infer, plants potted in peat mixes (eg. peat/perlite) do better with nepenthes-type watering, whereas plants in more open mixes seem happy with the tray.

For what it's worth, mine are in a mix of live sphagnum moss, branded orchid compost (fertiliser free) and perlite (approx 3:2:1), with a little coarse sand. There is also a top-dressing of live moss, to help keep the temperature of the soil down.

They seem quite a lot more adaptable than I was led to believe until I started on them.

#6 Homer

Homer
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:57 AM

Pot Size/Material my minor is growing in a 2 inch pot

Growing Medium 1:1 perlite and peat moss mix with top dressing of live sphagnum moss

Watering same as Nepenthes. Top watered once a week on average. No tray

Humidity Very high. Humidifer provides mist 4x a day.

Light Requirements 2x 24 inch fluorescent bulbs. GE Chorma50 and GE Plant & Aquarium bulbs 8 inches above plant.

8) Homer