- - - - -

Arisaema nepenthoides

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 An D Smith

An D Smith
  • Full Members
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Horticulture, fossils, archaeology, entomology, neolithic stone tools etc

Posted 21 April 2007 - 21:35 PM

Hi Aroid fans

To follow Aidans' excellent post on A. thunbergii, here are a few pics of Arisaema nepenthoides.

The species is frost tender and reaches a height of around five and a half feet. Only two leaves are produced and the flower is supposed to have the smell of pond water, whatever that may mean!?

I overwinter the bulbs dry and frost-free in the greenhouse and plant up when there are signs of life in early April. Once the plant has flowered I stand it outside for the rest of the season until it dies down in the autumn.

Despite the name, I always thought it looked more like a Sarracenia than a Nepenthes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers
Andy

#2 schimatrix

schimatrix
  • Full Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 21:50 PM

very nice Andy! :)
giu

#3 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 22:14 PM

Very, strange yet very interesting. I might have to get me one of those.

#4 Sockhom

Sockhom
  • Full Members
  • 1,654 posts
  • Interests:rock music, drawing, litterature, entomology

Posted 21 April 2007 - 22:15 PM

Spectacular plant Andy :D !

It reminds me some Heliamphora species (tatei or neblinae for exemple).
The stem is beautiful and almost... eerie. It looks like a reptile skin.

Friendly,

Fran├žois.

#5 Rob-Rah

Rob-Rah
  • Full Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 22:25 PM

The species is frost tender

I have had mine planted out in SW London in a shady corner of my garden for around 5 years now with various other species! However, I am considering taking up and potting the Arisaema ones that don't do as well in the open soil. Some are fine there, some I feel would do better in pots... Although this one does flower fine out of doors it never reaches more than a couple of feet. All the Arisaema I have tried outdoors have been fine there, but have been planted deeeeeeeep. Over a foot in most circumstances. This offers fairly secure frost-protection.

The stem can have a lovely milky-chocolate brown colour. Very snake-like.

Cheers.

#6 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Full Members
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Lau gar kung fu, P.Cs, C.Ps.

Posted 21 April 2007 - 22:34 PM

Very unusual, But do you mind if I enquire what this plant is growing at my allotment site? (photo taken last year)
Posted Image
Thanks and hope you don't mind.

#7 An D Smith

An D Smith
  • Full Members
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Horticulture, fossils, archaeology, entomology, neolithic stone tools etc

Posted 21 April 2007 - 22:43 PM

Hi Ian

The plant you have pictured is commonly known as Lords and Ladies, or Cuckoopint, or Jack in the Pulpit or a whole host of other, mostly old geographic names. The latin name is Arum maculatum and there appears to be at least two forms. Some have dark-red spots on the leaves and others (like yours) do not. I remember English Nature or some other proffesional body was doing a survey a few years ago to find out the extent of the two forms.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Andy

#8 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 22:45 PM

I've got a garden full of it! Both forms.

#9 Rob-Rah

Rob-Rah
  • Full Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 23:01 PM

I love the slightly ghostly quality of the flowers of lords and ladies in spring in the woods. There are some nicely variegated names cultivars around too.

#10 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Full Members
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Lau gar kung fu, P.Cs, C.Ps.

Posted 21 April 2007 - 23:39 PM

Hi Ian

The plant you have pictured is commonly known as Lords and Ladies, or Cuckoopint, or Jack in the Pulpit or a whole host of other, mostly old geographic names. The latin name is Arum maculatum and there appears to be at least two forms. Some have dark-red spots on the leaves and others (like yours) do not. I remember English Nature or some other proffesional body was doing a survey a few years ago to find out the extent of the two forms.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Andy

Thanks for that I've been wondering for a while as it just popped up last year for the first time (unless I'd strimmed it before and not noticed).
Very informative, Cheers :D

#11 Sweep

Sweep
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:04 AM

I love the first photo, it's intriguing! It's like there's a pair of lizards morphing into the branch! Wow!
Thanks for sharing.
Gill. :D

edited once for spelling. (My husband was intrigued by my original spelling of intriguing. i.e. intriuging :D )

#12 chesara

chesara
  • Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants of course

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:33 AM

Hi Andy
Was that from the very large tuber you had when i visited ??
Bye for now Julian

#13 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Full Members
  • 907 posts
  • Interests:Madonna, Latin America travel and music, birding, Cps (!) especially Sarracenia

Posted 04 May 2007 - 13:12 PM

What a fantastic species. The genus is one that coudl easily become as addictive and collectable as Sarracenia.

#14 An D Smith

An D Smith
  • Full Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

Hi Julian

Was that from the very large tuber you had when i visited ??

I think the tuber you saw was Amorphophallus konjac, about the size of a small pumpkin. This still has not come up yet and I am still hoping it may flower this year. The tuber for the Arisaema is about 5" across.

Cheers
Andy