• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Carlos Rohrbacher

Carlos Rohrbacher
  • Full Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:38 AM

Hi all,

it would like to know as to sow Genlisea repens, somebody could explain me?

Cheers.

Carlos.

#2 Markus

Markus
  • Full Members
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Lentibulariaceae

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:05 AM

Hi Carlos,

you can try two methods for sowing Genlisea to share the risk.
Sow one half on a mix of peat and small sized sand and keep the pot wet and humid at a bright place. The waterlevel of the tray can be as high as the suface of the soil.
I would recommend to sow the other half of the seeds in a small dish filled with destilled water. It is no problem at all when the seeds swim in the water as it might support germination. You can leave them in the dish as long as they have 1-2 leaves and visible traps. Then you can transplant them into the final soil (also a peat/sand mix) and keep them wet and humid.

I grow G. repens as an subaquatic species that half of the rosette is covered with water.

Good luck!

Markus

#3 Carlos Rohrbacher

Carlos Rohrbacher
  • Full Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 16:51 PM

Hi Markus,

I sowed mine of similar form to the first choice (with Sphagnum 80%, and thick sand 20%), but so far no plant was not born. Qul would be the average time of germination of this species?

Thanks.

Carlos.

#4 fitheglasscatfish

fitheglasscatfish
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:growing from seed as much as I can.

Posted 10 April 2008 - 15:26 PM

Old thread I know, but I have been having a bit of fun with my Genlisea. I have taken a leaf out one of the books (not literary) and set up in such a way that the pot with the seeds in it is neatly fitted on top of a pint glass of rain water. I have cut some extra holes in the bottom of the pot of the roots when they get down that far, and I will feed them with dafnia.

Can anyone see an issue with this as a method?

Fix