Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

How to propagate Drosera cuttings in water (with photos)

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 Jiri Vanek

Jiri Vanek
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:44 AM

I don't know about water tempature but I tell you the conditions. All of thise cuttings I take go to washed baby food jars. I Put about 1 cm of water on the bottom of the jar. Jar goes to my poor mans light system between two fluorecent light tubes. Theres maybe 1 cm space between jars and the tubes. On top of that there's a tin foil cover. At least cuttings get enough light. :D This is one of my fav sundews and I hope I could have more than my current 1 plant of this wonderful species.

Jiri! Those are some fantastic results! I'm really jealous to you. Please tell me the secret how to propagate D. paradoxa so successfully. :wink:

There's no secret :) The procedure is quite similar to yours. I use small plastic jar with about 2 cm of water and put it just by fluorescent lamp on the top of the terrarium. There is not much light (because I use reflectors) but the temperature in the jar is about 30°C during day and let's say 20°C during night. I think taht light is not so important for propagation but the temperature is.
Next important thing is to use very fresh leaves. If you use old leaves which are on the edge of rosset, they will die before first strikes appear. It is very important to use only fresh leaves (producing dews). Then the succes rate is very high. And of course - the crucial aspect is to pull of the leaf with its base.
Unfortunately it is quite difficult to obtain such fresh leaves without damaging plant. I usually do it when I am repotting plant.

This works well for me with non-hairy petiolaris species like D. broomensis and D. petiolaris too.

#82 Deadly Weapon

Deadly Weapon
  • Full Members
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Plants, art, movies and culture

Posted 24 March 2011 - 16:31 PM

Next important thing is to use very fresh leaves. If you use old leaves which are on the edge of rosset, they will die before first strikes appear. It is very important to use only fresh leaves (producing dews). Then the succes rate is very high. And of course - the crucial aspect is to pull of the leaf with its base.
Unfortunately it is quite difficult to obtain such fresh leaves without damaging plant. I usually do it when I am repotting plant.

Now I get it why i have failed. Pulling leaf with its base. Just tried it but failed. Is there any trick that can help to get the base with leaf.

#83 Jiri Vanek

Jiri Vanek
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 16:46 PM

Now I get it why i have failed. Pulling leaf with its base. Just tried it but failed. Is there any trick that can help to get the base with leaf.

A trick ? I don't know....it's the similar to when you want to propagate flytrap by leaf cutting. Maybe someone would disagree but I think that the best way is to dig out the plant from soil and then simply pull off some leaves (usually old and dead first and then some fresh).
You just have to get whole leaf with its fleshy base because there, in the base, is situated the adventitious bud from which the new plant grows.

#84 Deadly Weapon

Deadly Weapon
  • Full Members
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Plants, art, movies and culture

Posted 25 March 2011 - 19:51 PM

Thanks. Now i get it. I'm going to try this as soon as I can.

#85 MICKEY

MICKEY
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 18:12 PM

ANYONE ever try a flower stalk of D regia in water I know leaves are real hard but what about flower stalks

#86 MICKEY

MICKEY
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 18:13 PM

ANYONE ever try a flower stalk of D regia in water I know leaves are real hard but what about flower stalks