Drosophylum

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 -=Joel=-

-=Joel=-
  • Full Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 16:34 PM

Are these ok to sow now and leave outside or should I keep them inside and sow ? OR wait till spring and leave outside ?

Joel

#2 Rob-Rah

Rob-Rah
  • Full Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 16:40 PM

I find I get germination best in autumn and spring, when nights drop to around 5C but days in the greenhouse are still warm and in the 20s. I wouldn't think it would be happy sucessful germinating outdoors in the UK at present, or anywhere where the night temps are still getting down to freezing (though the plant once germinated might be ok, the seeds need a degree of heat to germinate).

#3 -=Joel=-

-=Joel=-
  • Full Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 17:00 PM

I do have a terrarium day temperature is around 20 - 25 and at night around 10.

Is this any use ?

Joel

#4 Guest_Sheila_*

Guest_Sheila_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 21:41 PM

Drosophyllum are notorious for damping off and keeping them in a terrarium is just asking for trouble. I would hold back until spring to sow the seed. Once they germinate they grow so quickly that by the end of the year you will have some good sized plants, so giving them an early start is not really necessary.

#5 -=Joel=-

-=Joel=-
  • Full Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 21:51 PM

Thanks for the reply, cant wait for spring now Lol :lol:

#6 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 04 January 2006 - 21:01 PM

What depth ought be provided for Drophyllum, to accommodate its roots? I recently transplanted my seedling to a plastic soda bottle, which is ~12". Is that enough?

#7 Rob-Rah

Rob-Rah
  • Full Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 21:24 PM

It will be rather unstable in such a bottle, but the depth is ok. I would sink it into a wide pot of soil to stop it falling over. Older Drosophyllum are straggling and sprawling. I plant seeds directly into 10" or 12" full length clay pots.

#8 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 04 January 2006 - 21:35 PM

Thanks Rob... I will stabilize it. Right now it is open tray, in a Gladware container.

#9 nicklott

nicklott
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 17:27 PM

Hi,

I planted (if you could call it that) 6 drosophyllum seeds just before xmas. I now have 4 little seedlings, one just starting on it's second set of leaves. They are kept very wet on a south facing windowsill.

This is by far the best germination rate I've had for drosophyllum (or in fact anything except capensis). I've always tried in spring or autumn before but I've only got one to even germinate, out of about 20 seeds.

The seeds had been kept in the fridge since last summer (including being frozen into the ice at the back!), so that may have helped. They were soaked in water for 24 hours before being placed on top of a gravel/sand/peat mix in separate peat pots. We haven't had much sun here since christmas, but that doesn't seem to have stopped them.

nick

#10 -=Joel=-

-=Joel=-
  • Full Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 18:19 PM

hmm ..

Think I may try and experiment this weekend. I have a few seeds so dont mind loosing a few.

I will sow

3 on a window cill
3 in my terra

If it doesnt work I will still have more than enough to try again in spring with.

I will let you know how it goes,

Joel

#11 Guest_Christian Rudat_*

Guest_Christian Rudat_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 21:47 PM

Hi everybody,

I sowed 7 drosophyllum seeds in December and 5 of them have germinated so far. The oldest plant started by the end of the year and is just developing the 7th leaveblade.
To have them germinate I put them seperately on top of Jiffy peat pots and kept them wet and warm (in a mini green house which stands on top of an aquarium with a fluorescent light right under the pots) in a bright location, but without any artificial lighting.
Right after the germination I transplanted the whole Jiffys into 13cm clay pots, filled them up with a loose mix of sand, peat, lava, Perlite and Vermiculite (hope these bear the same names in English) and kept them fairly dry since then. They are now standing at a south facing window with temperatures between 15°C and 20°C and are doing pretty well. If possible I would provide them even cooler temperatures.
From my experience there is nothing wrong with sowing them now. This will just result in already bigger plants when the summer arrives.

Best regards,
Christian

#12 TheCarnifreak

TheCarnifreak
  • Full Members
  • 780 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants (of course), traveling, nature, Bon Jovi, Muse, U2

Posted 20 January 2006 - 22:36 PM

hmm ..

Think I may try and experiment this weekend. I have a few seeds so dont mind loosing a few.

I will sow

3 on a window cill
3 in my terra

If it doesnt work I will still have more than enough to try again in spring with.

I will let you know how it goes,

Joel

I think germinate them in a terrarium is possible, but grow them for years in there isn't.

I sow Drosophyllum in March/April, in the livingroom on a south facing window. Once they are germinated, I put them in a cold greenhouse. There are still temperatures below zero possible in my greenhouse in early spring, but that doesn't give any problems for the seedlings.

#13 -=Joel=-

-=Joel=-
  • Full Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:26 AM

Well the experiment is off to a start. I will let people know what happens.

Joel

#14 TheCarnifreak

TheCarnifreak
  • Full Members
  • 780 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants (of course), traveling, nature, Bon Jovi, Muse, U2

Posted 02 December 2009 - 21:41 PM

Well the experiment is off to a start. I will let people know what happens.

Joel

Well, what did happen Joel?