Writing on labels

jimlard

Hello, I recently bought some blue permanent marker pens and some white plastic labels so I can keep tabs on my plants and not get muddled up. I noticed though that some labels are fading already and they've only been written on for three weeks at most :thumbsdown: .

I am going to have to re write them all but what would be my best choice of pen? If I buy a black permanent pen will that fade too? What pen do you use please?

Personally I print mine, using a Brother P-touch 1000 with TZ-S231 strong adhesive labels and applying them to plastic plant labels.

You might be interested in these threads:

http://www.cpukforum...showtopic=39647

http://www.cpukforum...?showtopic=6826

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (or should I say 'write' direction :sarcastic_hand: )

I have a Stabilo 'Write-4-all' permanent pen on its way. I really like the look of the plant label printers but can't justify buying one just yet.

Ii use a simple potlood(i not know the Englisch for this )it s stay for years ,some labels are still good after 20 years,if you have good labels at least ,this is more important then wat you used for write :thumbsup:

Ii use a simple potlood(i not know the Englisch for this )it s stay for years ,some labels are still good after 20 years,if you have good labels at least ,this is more important then wat you used for write :thumbsup:

Thanks Will, that's interesting to know about label quality. I have no idea if mine are good quality or not, they are just four inch white plastic labels that I bought from Ebay. I think Potlood is what I'd call a pencil, now why didn't I think of that? I never gave pencils a thought :wall3:

Edited by jimlard

I use Edding 780 extra fine paint marker pens on my labels, not let me down yet but have only been using them for three years, so cant verify their longevity beyond that period, but they still read well. I use white paint on black labels, the labels have a smooth and a rough side so I write on both just to see which keeps better. Otherwise soft pencil is good, it is always a good idea to check labels at the end of the season and replace/rewrite if necessary.

I too would love a Brother label machine but cant justify getting one, my birthdays in March if you would all like to put together and buy me one :whistling:

Cheers

Steve

I too would love a Brother label machine but cant justify getting one, my birthdays in March if you would all like to put together and buy me one :whistling:

If you have a local LIDL then keep having a look in there, as they frequently have them in at a good price.

If you have a local LIDL then keep having a look in there, as they frequently have them in at a good price.

I will now be shopping frequently at Lidl :tu:

I use a hard pencil,i think its a HB,it s not to hard but not soft ,whit a very sharp point .

The labels are good when you not can break this ,even not after a few years,not hard plastic and not to glad,and can stand UV light (very important ,els after a few years in sun she broken in severall pices),when you written on ,the pencill go a bit into the plastic,even when the color go away you can still read wat you have written.

pencil is also the cheapest way,you can written for years whit one pencill , :l_sunny:

I hope this help a bit

Cheers Will

Edited by will9

I echo the recommendation to use pencil (see my link on the same subject here):

www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24878&pid=318703&st=40entry318703

Edited by Jay Lechtman

This subject has got me thinking now (a dangerous thing)

How many of you keep records of what plants you have? I'm guessing that it's a must for those that are cross pollinating. What is the best way of recording your inventory of plants? Do you take photo's and upload them to a Flickr account (or similar) and record details under the photo? That way, if a label does go missing at least you should be able to identitify a plant in the future I'm guessing.

This subject has got me thinking now (a dangerous thing)

How many of you keep records of what plants you have? I'm guessing that it's a must for those that are cross pollinating. What is the best way of recording your inventory of plants? Do you take photo's and upload them to a Flickr account (or similar) and record details under the photo? That way, if a label does go missing at least you should be able to identitify a plant in the future I'm guessing.

I use CP-GrowList: http://www.carnivoren.info/

• Like 1

Thanks for that link Mobile. I have downloaded it and am just trying to work out how to get pictures onto it :good2: