reni and nelumb seasons

James O'Neill

I haven't been growing U. reniformis or U. nelumbifolia long enough to know their growth patterns yet, but I was just wondering...

Over the summer my nelumbifolia flowered well - 4 flower stalks were produced between June and August. It did not produce any leaves in the summer, yet at the moment it is busy growing plenty of leaves. This morning I have also just noticed 2 more flower stalks coming up on it. I grow it on a cool upstairs windowsill in the winter and in the greenhouse over the summer. I keep it always damp.

Reniformis on the other hand grew all its leaves in the summer in the greenhouse. These leaves have since died back and only tubers remain in the moss. It is now up on the cool windowsill, kept rather dry, as one should do with reniformis. A week ago it pushed up a flower stalk which I am very pleased with. It also surprised me; I thought it might flower in the spring or summer rather than the winter.

Is this normal, for nelumb to flower in summer and grow leaves in winter, and for reniformis to flower in the winter and grow leaves in the summer?

reniformis has a definate winter dormancy. For me it flowers just after the first leaves in spring. nelumbifolia flowers all summer, cant remember precisely but I think it mainly produces leaves early summer, and stolons later summer. you are keeping it warmish in the house so it probably thinks it's spring! it is hardy to near freezing at least...it does not have water storage structures like renifomis which suggests it does not experience seasonal drought in the wild, perhaps you would expect this as it grows in bromeliads...