Hardy/ half-hardy aroids.

tonyc

Hi, all.

I'm looking at expanding my (presently very small) collection of these, and rather than just relying on Google I'd be interested to hear of other people's experiences in sourcing them.

A particular problem I've experienced is that some websites seem to be hardly (if ever) updated. If you don't have a plant in stock and you aren't sure when (or if) you'll have it again, why list it?

Grrrrrrr.

Cheers,

T.

What Aroids are you growing and what ones are you after?

I've grown Arisaema for a couple of seasons, about to put them to bed for this year, and have had little problem, apart from finding room for them over winter.

Bob

how do you treat over winter?

Hi Stephen, I just let the dry out, kept at min 7C ( I think they could go lower). When fully dry I tip them out and re-plant in fresh, dry-ish, media. When they start to shoot again, water and back outside.

PS The Arum you sent grew well but no flower :-( Think I lost the Drac in the heatwave tooooo dry!

Guest Sheila

I kept my Arisaema in an unheated greenhouse last year. It wasn't a particularly cold winter and the coldest they had to endure was probably -4C, They all survived and grew well this year. Some of the little corms I was sent in exchange for some of my spares have grown huge this year, so they can take pretty cold temperatures. Like Bob I just left them in the pot until the media was bone dry then repotted them into fresh dry media and waited for signs of growth before putting them back into the garden to grow and flower.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Dracunculus (or however u spell it!) and it was outside all winter last year, I just chucked a couple of inches of mulch over it to protect it from the worst, I can't vouch for how it would deal with a lengthy snow period though.

Dracunculus is quite hardy without extra protection unless we get prolonged subzero temps for several days at a time. Have to avoid the tuber freezing solid, but as it's underground it seems quite resistant to it. Mine have been outside in SW London for 4 years with no extra protection. Snow might well help insulate it in a way that prolonged freeze doesn't.

I also leave my Arisaema outside all year, but they are planted deeeeeep to insulate against cold. Around 8"-10" deep.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My Drac survived, no flower this year. The first of my Arisaema, cilliatum, has poked its nose up. I had changed my rule and put them outside during the hot spell in April and let them alone.

My Drac survived, no flower this year.

they tend to flower mid-late june for me, after the foliage is out, unlike most aroids

Thanks Stephen, I'll keep an eye and nostril out for it :-)