windowsill growtube

Hi all

It was always a big dream of me to grow a N. bical, but never possible for me because in Sweden it was to dark and now in germany i dont have space because my basement is full with highland neps.

So i thought about how i can grow a bical and dont spend much money for a setup.

I found a nice and cheap solution for my windowsill. The window get full sun for 6hrs.

Found PET sheet in a hardware store and build a small tube for a first test. When the bical gets bigger i can easy build one with 1m or 1,5m diameter :) and costs for the small one is only 15euro.

Here are some pics, plants are now inside the tube since 2-3 weeks and seem to start growing now.

IMG_8518.jpg?m=1332867633 IMG_8521.jpg?m=1332867636

some pervileii

IMG_8524.JPG?m=1332867640

IMG_8528.jpg?m=1332867643

N bicalcarata

IMG_8529.JPG?m=1332867647 IMG_8530.JPG?m=1332867663

Good idea. I've used glass vases in the past as terrariums but had thought of how I would upscale them when the plants get later and this could well be the answer.

I'm intrigued by your fogger, which looks like a homemade construction. Would you be able to give us some details on it?

What is there for air circulation?

My past experience with small terrariums has always been a massive assault by fungi despite using fans.

I didn't use a fogger though, relied on a heat pad and water.

Whenever I've used them they have either been open topped, so have some gas exchange, or if covered the growing medium has been live Sphagnum moss which is not susceptible to fungal attack.

Hi

mobile the fogger is a reptilefogger

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=252&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1

i just use a 2liter coke bottle because the original bottle only have 1L

Tom, i drilled holes around the tube at the bottom. each 3-4cm i drilled one and the airflow is great because the top is open and if i take some kitchen foil and place it inside the tube it is moving slightly

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Simply said: I love the idea!

I'm thinking about a highland terrarium these days and this should be a relatively easy solution for me. In particular since my girlfriend is quite reluctant to see a big setup iin our bedroom that has the perfect temperatures for highland... Negociation...

Could you update us on the status of your plants?

• 7 months later...