Blogs

Hacking together a grow light

<from the forum> My 'test' light setup I'm playing around with is in a 30cmx20cm tank lined with mylar. I'm only using half of it - so estimate a 20cm x 15cm area that contains two small pots with drosera aliciae in them. Both were repotted from a crowded pot. Neither looks very well at the moment - probably because I keep experimenting on them ;-) both are about 10cm from the lights balanced on upturned plant pots.   The lights. Both on the same heatsink (20cm x 8cm) - I have 5 lots

Yunzi

Yunzi

Free Darlingtonia seed

Have a small excess of Darlingtonia seed and i would be interested to see if anyone would like some of it let me know if you are interested and i will let you know how to recieve some there is no charge for the seed but if you send me a self addressed stamped envelope ill send the seed, how much seed you get will depend on how many people would like some LA guys and ladies of course Pirate. Please do not ask if you intend to sell them on, i was donated two cephalotus and its my way of helping pe

Pirate.radio.dj

Pirate.radio.dj

Contemplating an outdoor bog garden

I guess I'm not alone in finding this hobby taking over my life! What started out as a cute idea for a novelty plant that might help keep down a few flies (which thankfully disappeared the day before the first CPs arrived) is taking on a life of its own. My latest thought, mainly motivated by the lack of space in the house, was to look into an outdoor bog garden. I reckon I'll have to wait until the spring for this, it's probably not the time of year now, but I can start dreaming. Also, being t

Yossu

Yossu

Feeding the plants - our adventure into grossville UK

Well, having just posted a rambling without any real content, I just remembered that we did something today that has some slight content. I asked about feeding the plants with worms and suchlike, see http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56190 for the interesting discussion that followed. I was surprised at the variety of things people shove into their plants, having previously thought you should let them fend for themselves. Well, there was this fly buzzing around our house toda

Yossu

Yossu

Yossu's brand new blog - will anyone read it?

Just discovered that I can create my own gallery and blog here, so I get even more chances to witter on about nothing! As I'm in my bedroom, using an iPad and contemplating a late afternoon nap, I don't have pictures to display (other than the sole picture in my gallery, which isn't even a CP), so this will be pretty content-free. Much like what will follow I guess! If my addled mind remembers, I'lll post something CP-related when I next get to my computer, and bore you all stupid with my ramb

Yossu

Yossu

Water Propogation 2015 Progress . . .

Hello all who stumble across this. . . . . .. I originally read an interesting post by NialFM and rather than fill that with nonsense I thought it best to start this blog and link it from there Producing plantlets of VFT and drosera via water immersion technique http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=55419 So, what's going on here? - After reading the above experiment I decided to have a pop myself. I have the time and patience so why not?

gricey

gricey

From now to the future.

Well it has been fun getting my little Drosera capensis from seed to flower. Planted first set of successful seeds on 2nd October 2013. Germinated on 25th October 2013. First true leaves 5th November 2013. First flower spike seen 28th June 2014. Now between the sowing of the seeds and the flower I had fungal problems, mishap with environmental change and fungus gnats but I have now some very healthy and strong plants. Now thanks to a kind member on the site I have more than enough seeds to

Little-Bacchus

Little-Bacchus

Flower flower flower

After the mutant faulse alarm and nearly losing my plants to a strande blackening of the leaves I have my first flower spike emerging. Even I can tell this is a flower spike, well I'm 90% sure it is I may post an image on the forum so keener eyes than mine can confirm it. Fuzzy little thing it is.

Little-Bacchus

Little-Bacchus

follow up of entry 1

So.. I went to repot my Drosera and i noticed a flower stalk only 1 inch (3 cm) long!!! first time I've seen a real flower stalk forming! Així que .. me'n vaig anar a replantar meu Drosera i em vaig adonar d'una flor de tija només 1 polzada (3 cm) de llarg! primera vegada que he vist una veritable formació de tija de la flor! Also .. Ich ging zu meinem Drosera umtopfen und ich bemerkte einen Stiel nur 1 Zoll (3 cm) lang! erste Mal, dass ich eine echte Blütenstiel bilden gesehen!

NateCarnivore

NateCarnivore

So, I'm new to the world of meat-eating plants, but I would like to collect them. At this point i only have 2 kinds of Sundews, a Venus flytrap, and a Nepenthes Pitcher plant. The Sundews are D. Aleciae and D. Adelae. My Nepenthes is N. Ventricosia. I'll post updates on them! ~NateCarnivore P.s. My sundews keep sending up root based babies... Do I divide them, or will it kill the mother???

NateCarnivore

NateCarnivore

Drosera, Sunny days and ants

Well we have had some good sunny days and I have taken full advantage by running out first light with plants and bringing back in as the cooler nights draw in. The growth of the plants from this is amazing and each plant is sending up new leaf shoots every day. Along with this they are catching a huge amount of food. in a matter of hours most of the leaves have something stuck to them. One plat got hold of an ant... I didn't know how it would cope with this and it didn't do well. Within a few o

Little-Bacchus

Little-Bacchus

My how they grow!

Well it has been a little while... All sign of the fungus gnat are gone thanks to some hand picking and a few brave mites. We have sun again and as such my little seedlings are now sending out new groth light anything. The harder task now is staying ontop of watering, they have moved onto rain water and looks like no probs there. Feeding is also something I will keep an eye on now as springtails just don't cut it for the size of the traps. I do hope in time to swap a few plants for something

Little-Bacchus

Little-Bacchus

The Hunter Becomes the Hunted

I should have known if my plants were catching fungus gnats then there was a chance that the larvae could be in the sphagnum moss they are growing in. Sure enough they are I removed two with a pin but where there are two there are twenty. The two I removed I fed to the plants... oddly enough on contact with the dew they writhed and knotted themselves in the same way a hag fish does. I'm guessing this is to try and remove the mucus from their skin. Within seconds they have elongated to full leng

Little-Bacchus

Little-Bacchus

Cold, dark and not fun for plants.

As I type this hail is battering at the window, Well it has been a little while since I added a page to my blog. My little plants are still doing well and feeding like mad but due to the low light levels growth has all but stopped. Each plant now has about eight leaves and two that have yet to unfurl. All in all the plants look like they have gone into a slow growth phase. I now see the importance of light for them, not that I don't know that all plants need light my ficus is also slumbering wai

Little-Bacchus

Little-Bacchus

Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here

Getting bigger and feeding well... I have seen a slow down in the growth but I have this down to falling temps and light levels (still growing on windowsill). I just hope it doesn't get too clod for them but from what I have been told they are somewhat bomb proof. As you can see the little springtails have little chance, they are deep in the moss but from time to time must come up and get stuck in the tentacles.

Little-Bacchus

Little-Bacchus