seeds won't germinate!!!

gabew

i'm really mad

i got 15 byblis seeds and i did exactly what i heard you should do to germinate them

they are all in a four inch pot

they are in a mix of 2:1 sand : peat

they on the tray method

they are in bright light, high humidity, ad bright light

this is exactly what everyone says to do and yet after a month no germination :thumbsup:

the only possible problem i could possibly find was the eventual growth of some green moss is that somehow killing my pour seeds

i can still see the seeds totally untouched and unchanged on the soil surface

i thought these plants were supposed to germinate after a few days then flower after a feew weeks not just sit there for a month

what am i doing wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! :banging:

Edited by gabew

Hello,

Thankfully for our hobby, NOT all seeds germinate as easily and readily as D. capensis!! This is what makes the challenge of germinating CP seeds so interesting - the multitude of different things we have to do into trying to convince each seed "now is the time to germinate".

Unfortunately, this means lots and lots of failures, but even bigger thrills when it works!

In terms of Byblis, some species are easier than others to germinate, (you dont say which sps you have tried) nevertheless, I always pre-soak my Byblis seeds in a saturated solution of both GA3 and Smoke Water for 48 hours before sowing.

I get good germination % using this method.

Hope this helps and stop banging your head!!!

We have all had more seed failures than successes!!!

Kind Regards

Andy

i'm really mad

i got 15 byblis seeds and i did exactly what i heard you should do to germinate them

they are all in a four inch pot

they are in a mix of 2:1 sand : peat

they on the tray method

they are in bright light, high humidity, ad bright light

this is exactly what everyone says to do and yet after a month no germination :thumbsup:

the only possible problem i could possibly find was the eventual growth of some green moss is that somehow killing my pour seeds

i can still see the seeds totally untouched and unchanged on the soil surface

i thought these plants were supposed to germinate after a few days then flower after a feew weeks not just sit there for a month

what am i doing wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! :banging:

Edited by andyinsuffolk

thanks Andy

my seeds are of B. liniflora which i didn't think needed the smoke treatment, but if that may be the problem i am willing to give it a try

not to be cheap but do you think i could salvage the seeds out of this pot or do i have to throw this away and get some new seeds

ok ill wait a few more months and if they don't germinate by say October ill try again using your method Jim

i just got annoyed because i thought that species was supposed to germinate in a few days

hi my friend i want to share my method of cultivation, and i had haven them in some weeks but inicially i had them for some months, without results

ill tell how:

if you can see this conteiner in there I have 3 germinated

I used peat, nothing more, and I left damp, not waterlogged, this container is sealed and has a few hours of sun, preferably the evening, the sun gives from 15hrs until 19hrs or so.

Here the most important thing is that not too wet peat and not have too many hours of sunshine.

within the container has a warm moisture that mimics the jungle, which is why I germinated quickly.

I tried to do in a larger container with moss moss, but I never germinated, I waited months to no avail, until you try this. Byblis and truth was the only plant that I have never germinate until now.

Hope this helps and now serve as attempts to germinate Roridula.

many greetings.

dscn5661.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

byblis2.jpg

byblis.jpg

Anjoeskorpio,

That could be moss, I'm not sure it's Byblis

The black remains of the seed atop the growth indicate that they are Byblis seedlings.

• 2 months later...

FINALLY

i ended up putting the seeds in a 2 liter soda bottle with the bottom cut off to surround the pot and act as a tray and humidity dome

i put them on my patio next to some vfts and sarrs and kind of disregarded them

finally after 3 months the first seed germinated :jive::wub:

here some pics of my tiny yet great accomplishment (just for the record this my second time trying to germinate seeds and my first time when any seeds germinated :blink: )

gallery_5458_322_7418.jpg

gallery_5458_322_22069.jpg

and sorry for the terrible picture quality my camera has the worlds worst macro feature

Edited by gabew

Sometimes all our best efforts are in vain, simply beacuse the seeds aren't viable to begin with. My very first attempt, as a total newbie, I went 23 for 23. I knew nothing about bleach solutions or any other sophisticated methods. Another time I went 0 for the whole batch, and that was with 10% bleach solution. Sometimes' you're just set up for failure, through no fault of your own.

Congrats on the seedling(s)!

I have just ordered a heated plant propagator. It comes with an accurate thermostat which can hold the temperature at up to 30c. The thermostat is very easy to set using + and - buttons followed by pressing a "set" button. The large LCD display shows the desired temperature and the actual temperature. It is called a Vitopod. I have got the 50cm x 50cm model but there is a model that is 50cm x 100cm. You can also extend the height of the propagator with additional panels.

I got exactly the same thermostat last year and it can be used with small heated propagators if you stand one base upside down and the other base on top of it. This gives a boost to the heating wattage. The thermostat turns the power off at the set temperature.

I think a major factor in seed growing success is a really stable and suitable temperature.

Have Google for "Vitopod". Make sure you are sitting down and have a large whisky handy for when you see the price !

I've got several plants that got their start outside, on my porch, in various minibogs, through no effort on my own. These plants are actually surviving overnight lows in the 40's F.

• 8 months later...

Hi Gabew,

I had very good results with By.liniflora seed, even if they were 2 years old, 70% germinated after 10 days.

My method is high humidity, bride light and high temperature. Don't be afraid to provide 35°c during the day to your seedlings.

I let my seeds on a mix of sand and peat (50/50), I covered with plastic bottle and put under 2x18 Watt daylight fluorescent tubes (very close).

The pots stayed in a terrarium with 20 during the night and 30-35 during the days. Now I have something like 30 adults plants in a full terrarium!

Hope it can help you. Anyway, as many growers told you, keep your non-germinated pots because some plantlets can appear many months or year later...

Regards,

Damien