New to heliamphora

linuxman

Hi everyone,

I'm hopefully getting my first Heliamphora next week from Extreme Plants (thanks Gert). I'll be starting with juvenile H. x heterodoxa x minor and H. nutans. Over the summer and autumn I intend to keep them in the cool greenhouse with my Sarracenias and bring them in to the house over the winter.

I've read all about the various substrates and shall use LFS and perlite in a 50:50 mix. Also, I've come across different opinions about watering - tray, no tray, gravel bed etc, and misting and no misting because of fungus. Thoughts anyone?

I was also wondering whether a drip system would be beneficial? Then I wouldn't use a tray but drain the excess water to be reused later.

I would be grateful for comments and advice that anyone's got that may prevent this first attempt ending in disaster!

Many thanks,

Congrats on choosing this very neat group of pitcher plants.

Growing in a cool greenhouse does present some challenges. My only recommendations would be that in addition to being sure they have the brightest light possible, short of burning, that they would benefit from a regular flooding of their pots. I have my plants, 2 minor colonies, outside and have come to the conclusion that they really enjoy having their pots flooded. I do so daily. Of course the mix needs to be able to drain well and be such that any of its constituents do not float away with the flooding!

Also provide excellent air circulation. I think misting is important as the means of getting the pitchers filled, at least once during the day. They seem to do well for me even with humidity in the 60%. :banging:

Thanks Jerry. Yes, this could be bit of a challenge but at least I'm starting with easier varieties (or so I'm told). I keep the greenhouse door open all day and I intend to put the helis as close as possible to it for the ventilation. Anyway, it's not too warm here in the UK ATM so they shouldn't burn. Maybe I'll put up shading just for them next year. I'll also try the pot flooding you suggest.

Fingers crossed.

Regards,

I got my first Heliamphora 2 years ago. Same hybrid as yours. I grow it in a terrarium in bright daylight, near a window, but away from direct sun, and mist it every day, but max temperature in the daytime is only 29C and night usually lower than 20C.

I have had to pot it up once and I think it needs splitting next year. It has very well coloured nectar spoon. I think due to 11 watt compact flourescent lamp I use for 10 hours per day.

It has now been joined by 3 other helis and I await another 2. My experience is that the hybrid is a nice easy plant.

I talked with a National Collection holder at Leiden, he says that a temperature above 40C will always result in death of Helis. Maybe check your max/min thermometer before commiting the plant to the greenhouse. If the temp isn't right a I can definiltey verify that simple tanks and light arrangemrt work well.

Best wishes for success.

Kevan

quote name='linuxman' date='21st August 2010 - 10:57 AM' post='278784']

Hi everyone,

I'm hopefully getting my first Heliamphora next week from Extreme Plants (thanks Gert). I'll be starting with juvenile H. x heterodoxa x minor and H. nutans. Over the summer and autumn I intend to keep them in the cool greenhouse with my Sarracenias and bring them in to the house over the winter.

I've read all about the various substrates and shall use LFS and perlite in a 50:50 mix. Also, I've come across different opinions about watering - tray, no tray, gravel bed etc, and misting and no misting because of fungus. Thoughts anyone?

I was also wondering whether a drip system would be beneficial? Then I wouldn't use a tray but drain the excess water to be reused later.

I would be grateful for comments and advice that anyone's got that may prevent this first attempt ending in disaster!

Many thanks,

Hi everyone,

Many thanks,

Keeping the root system cool is of primary importance, not unlike that of Darlingtonia -- and a common source of failure, coupled with high nighttime temperatures; though the species and hybrids you chose pose a good introduction to Heliamphora and are simple to grow.

My preferred media over the years has been -- preferably -- live or dried long fiber sphagnum moss and pumice for drainage and ballast (my plants quickly manage to get top-heavy) . . .

Heliamphora nutans "Giant"

NUTANSGIANT2.jpg

Im also starting with Heliamphora. Im getting mine from Wistuba, a hybrid Heterodoxa x Ionasii. Any advice for growing this particular hybrid.

DexFc

Im also starting with Heliamphora. Im getting mine from Wistuba, a hybrid Heterodoxa x Ionasii. Any advice for growing this particular hybrid.

DexFc

That natural hybrid is a very vigorous grower and very simple to grow. Just provide high humidity, good ventilation, and cool nights . . .

How about when winter comes? Do I have to do anything special to the Heliamphora Heterodoxa x Ionasii?

DexFc

Edited by dchasselblad74

How about when winter comes? Do I have to do anything special to the Heliamphora Heterodoxa x Ionasii?

DexFc

That particular hybrid has seen temperatures in the single digits last year for over two weeks with no problem; but i would not encourage that and protect any Heliamphora from frost . . .

I'm hopefully getting my first Heliamphora next week from Extreme Plants (thanks Gert). I'll be starting with juvenile H. x heterodoxa x minor and H. nutans.

Well, they've arrived and I've potted them up. I think they look good, Gert has done me proud. Here's some pictures:

H. heterodoxa x minor

677hetxminor.jpg

H. nutans

807nutans.jpg

Both together

580both_helis.jpg

Let's hope I can keep them alive :D

Regards,

Cool Heli lineup....Very nice! I cant wait to get my H. Heterodoxa x Ionasii! Im sure your plants will thrive....

DexFC