All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Auction 455 - S. moorei 'Adrian Slack'

I'll start off the bidding with £15
  3. Today
  4. Auction 455 S. moorei 'Adrian Slack' donated by Linuxman with the proceeds going towards forum running costs. A small plant grown from a rhizome cutting as in this thread http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/59209-something-for-nothing/ The original mother plant came from Mike King. The first two photos are of the mother plant, the second two of the plant you are bidding for. UK Standard Postage £5 EU Standard Postage £8.50 Please post your bids here This auction will last for FIVE DAYS and will end on 25th November 2017 @ BST 20:00hours. The last post with the highest bid with the time showing BST 20:00 hours will be the winner
  5. Newbies question about seeds I bought

Did you buy from China? Lots of fakes, avoid Chinese sellers. Best to buy from people on this forum.
  6. Newbies question about seeds I bought

thank you so much carambola you have confirmed my suspicions. The seeds i have are nothing like the pictures you have posted. the Nepenthes and Dionaea are all round, theses look to me like cress/mustard seeds the Darlingtonia seed are just like/same as pepper seed shape the Drosera are large round seed 1.5-2 mm in diameter ( very large) so from the they are not what they say they are i Have sow as if where the real deal just see what they are???? thank you so much ones again for the help........
  7. Newbies question about seeds I bought

Hi William, here are some pictures of what these seeds should look like: Dionaea (teardrop shaped, they are smaller than they appear on the picture): Darlingtonia (they look like tiny cacti): Nepenthes (long and wiry with a small bump in the middle): Drosera (they are about as big as they appear on the picture: impossible to distinguish from dirt unless you use a microscope):
  8. I always leave phyllodia until they die back but old pitchers I trim back the dead stuff initially. Once they are properly dying back for winter they get a close trim whether 1/3 of a pitcher is green or not, I think the improved ventilation is good for them. This doesn't apply to S. minor or hybrids that don't die back that much, just trim dead stuff with those.
  9. Dormancy

Those temps are too warm for dormancy a cold greenhouse or unheated garage window would be better for sarras and vft
  10. Newbies question about seeds I bought

Can easily confirm if we can see the pics. You need to upload to a share site and post the link
  11. Hello!

Thank you all!! :)
  12. Yesterday
  13. Hello!

I sacrificed the crickets for the Drosera, they are of small size but if I see any signs of rotting or anything I'll take them off.
  14. Hello!

The Drosera won't catch or keep hold of crickets because they're too big. The main thing Drosera catch are gnats and other very thin and light insects. Catching a housefly is already quite the achievement and doesn't happen very often, because larger insects are usually strong enough to still fly or crawl away before enough tentacles have folded in to keep it stuck.
  15. Dormancy

Hi Stuart, Welcome to the forum (~8 Have you done a search of the forum for info?
  16. Dormancy

Hi all, pretty new to growing and have a few questions Question is about dormancy for my Venus fly trap and Sarracenia. They are kept indoors in the UK on a south facing windowsill and the house is normally about 20 degrees or so. The Sarracenia has slowed its growth and the larger trumpets have started to go brown now. The Venus flytrap is still producing new traps but smaller ones than during the summer. When should they start to go into dormancy and what should I do for helping them to get through the winter?
  17. Pinguicula neo-volcanica

It will be interesting to see. Temperature apparently can play a big part, plants kept below 30C are apparently more fertile for example. I doubt my ‘caudata’ is a hybrid, its a clone thats been around for a very long time originating from Adrian Slacks nursery in the 1970’s. Long before there was many other species in cultivation. What seems to happen is very old clones in cultivation tend become sterile. Possibly due to repeated vegetative propagation.
  18. Hello!

Thanks @linuxman :)! I fed them all some crickets and although the capensis is not bending the leaves towards the prey it could be because it's new to my house, am I right? The muscipula seems to have enjoyed them and is squeezing the leaves against them as hard as it can
  19. Always been very interested in carnivorous plants ,had few over years. thought be cool try grow from seeds Dionaea Muscipula, Darlingtonia Californica, Nephenthes, Drosera. mixed variety’s of each found some online ,ordered them but ???? can I have some help verifying that that are what they say they are. done some research on line feel they are fake seeds many help be much appreciated cant seem load pics here happy email them cheers william
  20. Always been very interested in carnivorous plants ,had few over years. thought be cool try grow from seeds Dionaea Muscipula, Darlingtonia Californica, Nephenthes, Drosera. mixed variety’s of each found some online ,ordered them but ???? can I have some help verifying that that are what they say they are. done some research on line feel they are fake seeds many help be much appreciated cant seem load pics here happy email them cheers william
  21. Hello!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
  22. My peat bog

Very nice! Where did all the sarracenias go? Do you cut them off during winter? Thanks for sharing this.
  23. my new bog garden

Thanks for keeping this thread up to date and sharing all these fine progress. Congrats!
  24. Platycerium from spores

Just been looking at my spore collection in the fridge, I have about 25 different packets, some of which are over 20 years old, I think I will grow them all out next year to see whether they are viable ( I have grown Pityrogramma from 11 year old refrigerated spores a couple of times in the last 20 or so years!)
  25. Platycerium from spores

Well heres a couple of photos taken with my phone camera down the eyepiece of my microscope! As you can see the sporangia are very dark brown and the spores (a few visible almost in the centre of the second picture) are pale straw coloured. Interestingly not very many sporangia with ripe spores, which may be because it is a hybrid (hybrids typically produce lots of small white spores and a few large typical spores, or none at all), or maybe just drought at the time of formation...Like your superbum, mine is now producing the spore patches on the fronds that will give next years sporangia.
  26. Hi, here are some more pictures of my tuberous sundews. First two pictures of Drosera stolinifera than a nearly flowering Drosera browniana. This is an awakening Drosera rosulata. followed by Drosera colina and a Drosera porrecta. Best regards and greetings from Berlin Lutz
  27. Tuberous drosera

Canon 550 D Canon 60 mm f2.8 macro nearly all photos are stacked
  28. Last week
  29. Pinguicula neo-volcanica

Nice, I hope there fertile for you. I have tryed pollenating Pinguicula moranensis to it's self 4 days ago just to see if it can produce fertile seeds, just got to wait and see now.
  1. Load more activity