All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Deltatango301

Chelsea 2018

Well done to everyone
  3. Deltatango301

Change in weather by Saturday

Had a good 10 days sunshine now poring down with rain filling up the water butts plants still well behind last year weather prediction hot for the next few weeks
  4. Nigel H-C

Chelsea 2018

Nobody seems to have mentioned Chelsea on the forum, unless I’ve missed it somewhere. The Society and myself were awarded silver-gilt, and Hampshire CP and Wack’s Wicked Plants we’re both awarded gold. Regards Nigel H-C
  5. Today
  6. tropicbreeze

Carnivores in the backyard

Mark, it's a definite advantage for me. "Mother Nature" does all the work looking after the plants. No effort (and especially no frustrations) on my part trying to grow them, but still the enjoyment of them being "mine". Werds, there's only 2 Stylidiums I've IDed on my place but have photos of others in the area as well. May be worth another thread just for them.
  7. Dunc

Does anyone keep their sarracenia outside?

Grow quite a lot outdoors as overflowed the greenhouse years ago. Some are in pots, some in the pond margins. Never mulch and gave up on any covers and not lost anything! I think most sarra are hardier than I used to think. Binata always grows back too. Never have mould or rot, even when plants under water or snow/ice. As mentioned, they are just 2 or 3 weeks behind the greenhouse plants.
  8. Yesterday
  9. Dunc

Twisted Pitchers - Help Please

Seen this as well with aphids, especially on soft new growth in spring under cover. Only takes a few too! You've sprayed so may be ok now - just watch closely. If you see them you can often just rub them off (dead) with your fingers. The pictures that have been damaged may not grow much now but more should show soon.
  10. Blackout

Cephalotus vertical growing

Yes, it is grown in a highland terrarium. The xaxim is positioned vertically – a straight wall. I manually spray water onto it, and I also use a very basic drip system to irrigate it when needed (ie. when I'm away from home).
  11. pirks

Have you any more information you could give us please, position of the maxim? how do you keep it wet? is it grown in a terrarium? Thank you
  12. Netjer

Which Nepenthes to Buy?

So, bumping this up. Any thoughts on ventricosa x hamata? I know they're both highland species and hamata has a reputation for being harder to grow, but reading up on this hybrid I've read a lot of things to say that they're actually not too fussy to grow. It sounds like it takes more after the ventricosa (which applies to the peristome as well unfortunately, as the darker colouration of hamata is stunning). Any thoughts on viability as an indoors plant?
  13. ROBERT JOHNSON

Vitax Irish peat

I've now repotted all the plants that were in Vitax. There was little sign of new root growth. Most were dark brown, just a few light coloured fresh roots. Does that mean that the roots were being burned by the (possible) fertilizer?
  14. I have it from Miracle Gro that fast moving beige coloured mites running around on their compost are probably fermentation mites. This is in relation to my thread about Brevipalpus mites...... Does anybody have any detailed knowledge of fermentation mites, or links to it? I can find almost nothing useful about them. Why would mites who eat yeast be running around frantically? Are they chasing after it??? https://photos.app.goo.gl/U7lW701lOD8hAJ4u1 https://photos.app.goo.gl/oOTGXdzzbZMr0Dz73
  15. werds

Would love to see some Stylidium photos too!
  16. mark funnell

Really amazing to have such a great selection of plants in such a close proximity to your house. Would love that myself.
  17. tropicbreeze

Thanks for the comments fellas, much appreciated. Mark, quite literally as it says in the title, all these photos were taken on my property. Admittedly, my property isn't your average suburban block. So far I've found 14 species of CP that grow naturally on my place. An additional one, U. gibba, I don't count as I suspect it came in on some water plants I bought. I also have more photos taken in other localities around the place. When they're sorted I'll put them up on separate threads. This area is rich in CP species, but only Utricularia, Drosera, Byblis and Aldrovanda (also Stylidium, as a pseudo-carnivore).
  18. Hi, I have a single small pot (cephalotus) in a south facing room but only in direct sunlight briefly each day (1 hour, in summer!) I'd rather keep it there if i can so i'm wondering about low profile lighting solutions and whether they will make a worthwhile difference. I had some g4 LED bulbs so mocked up and 3d printed a holder of the kind of scale i'd ideally like. This bulb is 4w, 3200k, claimed 310 lumens, ra80 - it's dual sided and my low quality tin foil reflector and proximity probably wastes a lot of light from that side. could be mounted 10-15cm from the plant i imagine. heat seems negligable from my few hours test. I know nothing about lighting for plants - would one, two, three of these be of any benefit at all? if not, any changes i could make without going up in size? thanks!
  19. Last week
  20. Hi Chris, It rains quite a lot over here in Galicia (NW Spain), so water trays are easilly keep full until may naturally. Although i have a backup dripping watering system with tap water (It is safe here) working once or twice a day depending on the season. Peat is available here in some garden centers. I haven't used milled pine bark yet, is not easy to find It here. Cheers Gustavo
  21. ROBERT JOHNSON

Solar Fans

Whilst I dithered about whether to buy or not the price went up. It started at £60 but is now £85!! As a result I've not purchased. I would be very interested in what others think or have experienced.
  22. ROBERT JOHNSON

Vitax Irish peat

I've had Klasmann recommended to me. I've also noticed that Little Shop of Horrors also use Klansmann. I've no experience since I've only been hooked on carnivorous plants for nearly a year but I've just bought some Klansman.
  23. werds

Thank you for your contribution! Australia´s carnivorous plants are really unique and fascinating.
  24. bux

Nepenthes hamata

Still very small but nice. You have time until you need to repot it
  25. Alexis

Vitax Irish peat

Clover and Klassman are decent peats. Melcourt Growbark Pine if you want to go peat free (or try a peat/bark mix).
  26. Blackout

I've been growing Cephalotus on a xaxim tree fern panel for about a year. So far so good. The tough part was to insert the roots into the panel. It is quite dense. And here they are now. The first plant is showing good signs of vertical growth: the last open pitcher is the top one, and the surrounding leaves are recent too.
  27. Hi Gusmou Your plants are thriving, what are your watering methods ?. I'm guessing you don't get much rain to be able to collect ? . Do you struggle to find suitable peat ? cheers chris
  28. Hi Keith, You welcome This one? Sarracenia on the right side is a 'Lynda Butt'
  29. Does such a thing exist??? Does anyone have any ideas on this topic???
  1. Load more activity