Dying pitchers

Loakesy

Bad news! I noticed the other day that the lid of the last pitcher on my Nep (unknown) has shrivelled up and died. The rest will probably follow fairly soon.

I only got 3 pitchers this year, the first was very small (less than 2 inches) and rather deformed - no lid at all - the 2nd and 3rd were/are about 5-6 inches, and opened in June and July respectively, and now they're on their way out already.

Since the 3rd pitcher the plant has produced about 7 more leaves, none of which have, as yet, produced pitchers. Is all this normal?

Cheers

Loakesy 8)

What conditions you got them in Loakesy :?: :?: aim for about 25c day time and about 18c night time and humidity up about 70% or more certainly no less than 65% I also make sure mine get plenty of light but mine are in a grow tank, if on a window sill the light is slightly different with it being natural so probably try a bit of shade with some netting.

Another thing if the pitchers are a bit deformed there could be a bug involved, and if there are quite a few hiding in the center of the plant it could weaken the plant even more, so I would give it a spray I mix my own at half strength and spray once every 2 weeks for a month and see how the plant grows then :D

James :D/

At the moment, the only space in the house available for keeping my plants is on a windowsill in the kitchen next to an east facing window. The Nep is sitting on top of the microwave next to the same window. <cringe> Whenever I can, I transport them to the garden for more sunlight.

The house is never cold and the kitchen normally humid. I hadn't thought about bug infection tho'.

As you can see, I'm a rank amateur with litle cash at present to expand, but otherwise I'm pleased with the health of most of the collection.

Cheers

Loakesy 8)

Many neps can adjust to windowsill life (particularly some of the garden centre hybrids), it can take time though. What they don't appreciate very much, is a changing environment. They will probably do better if just left on the windowsill in your kitchen, than if regularly moved out to completely different environment, your garden (different light, humidity and temperatures). Keep them in one place and be patient. You might want to mist it regularly as well, if its not in a very humid environment.

Vic

Fair comment. I'll stop if it will make them feel better! Tho' I'm not sure the wife would appreciate me spraying the microwave on a regular basis (which is one of the reasons I move them outside) but I'll give it a try.

Cheers

Loakesy 8)

I don't think the general humidity in a kitchen can be relied on. I could get Neps to grow in the kitchen but I could never get them to produce pitchers. Come the winter the plants would slowly die from the bottom up. I keep mine in a propogater in the greenhouse now and they pitcher beautifully. If you can raise the humidity around the plant, whether by spraying or placing the plant in a tank, your problem will be solved.