Sign in to follow this  
Guy

Heat or no heat?

Somehow I knew it would come to this.  I've just ordered a 6' x 8' greenhouse with two levels of staging.

A concrete base will be going down in a week or so, the greenhouse will arrive a couple of weeks afterwards.

I'm not planning on keeping anything which needs year round warmth, but do you think it's worth putting a heater in to keep it frost free over winter?

The plants I have at the moment are various Sarracenia, Drosera, Pinguicula, Dionaea, Cephalotus and  a Heliamphora nutans.  A mate with a heated greenhouse can overwinter anything which wouldn't tolerate going down to about 4C

Thanks.

Guy

Depends on where you are and how much risk you're prepared to take. A heater will at least give you the option to use if needed. I initially heated - plants survived anything and grew earlier but grey mould could be an issue. It also did show on my electricity bill! I now just use a 30w tube heater to keep it frost free (but occasionally a deg or two below zero overnight) and everything survives. I've quite a few outside all year too. Neps and helis don't thrive and tropical pings and tropical drosera struggle so depends on what you want to grow. I have my neps and genlisea in my conservatory - normally 10 deg min. I still have the 3kw heater but have only used for a few nights each year and it's turned down very low but last few winters have been quite mild in the south of UK. 

Thanks Dunc

The best way forward is probably to get a hollow tube laid into the concrete base at the back and leading to the outside.

This will give me the option of feeding a cable in for a heater if I decide to go for it at a later date.

Guy