Tomaso Boroni

'Crippled' Dionea

Hello

Earlier this year I bought a few carnivorous plants form a reputable dealer. Out of the box they developed very nicely and gorged themselves on pesky flies, as intended. Then one of the Dioneas developed new growth that I can only describe as 'crippled'. I have attached a few images made with my phone so I hope they are at all useful.

Does anyone know what might cause this?

Many thanks for any advice.

Venus Fly Trap_4_120918.jpg

Venus Fly Trap_3_120918.jpg

Venus Fly Trap_2_120918.jpg

Venus Fly Trap_1_120918.jpg

Was there that much moss in the pot when you purchased the plant?

Can you move some of the moss away from the growth point and see how it looks. The moss could be making the crown of the plant rot by keeping it permanently wet. Mine started to rot as the moss was doing the above so the crown/growth point of the plant was becoming lower than the soil level basically. I removed all the moss and rotting tissue then the plant slowly over the space of a month started to show New healthy leaves.

Dear Pirks

That is an interesting point. They didn't have moss when they came but all of the pots are full of it now. I left it because I always thought of it as being 'natural' and looking nice to boot. But I will remove it and see what happens.

Many thanks for the tip.

Tomaso

Did you search for aphids or other critters? The damage looks a bit like the damage aphids are causing on my dionaea.