CPS Statement Regarding Forum Data Loss

SoLongFairWell

A few days ago we discovered that the forum hosting company had started charging us for running two servers for CPUK, rather than one.  We did not request a second service, other than our backup service.  Upon contacting them, they told us which service needed to go and told me to delete it via the client area.  I did this as instructed.  They told me the wrong one.  This unfortunately also included the backups.  

Upon deleting our active server we then discovered that they had been storing our weekly backups of the system on the same server, rather than on a different one (which is best practice).  The only backup that was available to us to be successfully restored was from August.  This was when we moved to a faster SSD server.  Therefore all content posted onto the forum, along with PMs and new sponsors advertising on the homepage, is as it was on August 5th 2018.  All information between that date and Sunday, December 9th 2018 has been irretrievably lost by the hosting company.  

Needless to say, we are incredibly disappointed (not my actual words) in the service we've been paying for and the impact this has had on our community here.  

We will be moving to our own web hosting service very shortly.  There may be some downtime during this changeover.  I'll post when it has moved successfully and we can all work together to rebuild our beloved forum from the rubble as I know our forum membership can, no doubt, rise to the occasion and make CPUK great again!

When the Phoenix has risen from the ashes, we ask that anyone who has recently posted plants AND SEED for sale or exchange to please list these here again.  This would benefit many people.

If you registered after August 5th you will need to reregister again.  If you have just registered (or done it again) I will send out the validation emails when the transfer is complete.  

We are so sorry for all the inconvenience caused to all affected by this issue.  

Yours sincerely

Richard Bunn
CPUK Forum Webmaster
The Carnivorous Plant Society
www.thecps.org.uk

• Thanks 2

Thanks Steve.  It's nearly there. Seems operational but I haven't had the final 'It's completely finished' email from our developer.  He's been working very hard on it though.  We've been in communication all afternoon.