Sign in to follow this  
Hayley5

watering orchids

Hello everyone. I was curious, what is your method of watering orchids? 
I know that there are many of them. If it goes to me, I make them a "bath" once week in boiled water. I put them in water for 10 minutes and then I leave them to dry. Once a two weeks I add fertilizer to the water. What about you? What method are you using?

It much depends on the orchids genera. However, for example:  u can't water Cattlleya and Dracula one and the same way...or Pterostylis and Oncidium...

Edited by dimitar

I have 2, no idea what they are but they both get a weekly dunk in rain or ro water.

I leave mine for about an hour then drain excess off..

Stick them under running water from the tap (46 tds) until the roots turn green again, let them drain then place back on a west facing window. Feed every 2 or 3 weeks 

Edited by pirks

Depends on the type; my Phalaenopsis is ok with tap water so gets soaked in that once a week. The Oncidiums get deionised water once a week which I let run of the pots into a pebble tray underneath, which then evaporates until next watering day. They also get a bit of a mist midweek if it's been very hot/dry. The heavy drinkers (the Maxillaria seems to get through water faster than the others) might get an extra bit of water midweek too. In winter is longer between waterings.

I have very low (~40%) humidity so they like the extra misting, but that might not work for other set ups

I would avoid running them under a tap, I always let the water stand for a few hours to get up to room temperature and let any chlorine etc gas off.