We all love free seedlings

Having just started a collection I am always happy for additions to it, so was really pleased to get some 'passengers' with other plants. I bought a 'starter set' of plants from H-C in the Winter (that have all surpassed my expectations of how good they are) and recently notices a few seedlings in the compost, so pricked them out. Associated with a S. purpurea were 3 nice little Sarracenias. I guess they are the same as the host, but could the hooked ends suggest S. psittacina or a hybrid of it? In the pot of a Drosera filiformis are a dozen seedlings; one has long leaves and is presumably the same species, the others are round with short petioles. Do leaves change shape as the plant grows or does this mean I have a round leaved form like D. aliciae? There was also a tiny clump of possible Utricularia but I think I killed it by moving it.

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

Lots of Drosera (maybe most) come out of the ground with round leaves, they get longer or wider (or both) as they grow older, provided they have enough light. So, there's no way to tell which species those seedlings belong to!

It's pretty hard to kill Utricularia, as it doesn't have any roots or leaves. Any part of the plant can continue growing. It will look miserable for a while, but most likely it'll come back and invade all of your pots.

Thanks. They are all such lovely little plants. And the Drosera are growing surprisingly fast; the largest have gone from 5mm to 15mm diameter in a couple of weeks. I gather you treat Utricularia a bit like moss; let it fill the surface of pots of other plants and appreciate it.