Mejiro

"Adrian Slack Requiescat in pace"

"Hello, It is with great sadness that I wish to inform the community of the passing of the famed author and carnivorous plantsman, Adrian Slack.

Adrian died on the 3rd of June and a memorial service was held for him today (14th June 2018).

On a personal level, I first became aware of him in the mid 1980's following the publication of his second book; previous to discovering it I had been growing some window sill specimen CP's for several years, but it wasn't until I read his book, that a whole new world was opened up to me and I later acquired the paper catalogue from Marston Exotics and eagerly began ordering some plants via mail order.

Sadly I never had the chance to meet the great man, but I know many of you on here may of visited him at some point and even worked with him. I did drive down to the last site Marston ran in Compton Dundon, nr. Somerton in the mid 1990's, alas, I wasn't aware at the time that Adrian's health had suffered and that he had already sold the business by then.

Aside from his books, I know very little about him, except what I have read; that he was a truly charismatic gent, enjoyed the finer things in life and could often be found at Chelsea and the like, deep in conversation and always donning a panama hat.

It goes without saying that he will be sorely missed and I think that the worldwide carnivorous plant community owe him a debt of gratitude for informing and inspiring us with his fantastic books and wonderful illustrations. I'm sure that you will join me in offering sincere condolences to his family."

John