How can I help some of my sarras that haven't done much yet this year?

TeaCake

Hello, I am hoping someone may have some advice for me here as I have 4 or so pots that haven't put on any new growth this year yet. I cut off all the dead growth from over winter in early spring and have seen little to no significant growth on any of them. They are alive and green, but the new growth points are so tiny and barely doing anything.

I am wondering if I should pull them all out, wash off the roots, divide them up and remove any dead matter and pot them up in fresh media, even though it's entirely the wrong time of year to be doing so ordinarily. It doesn't look like I can expect much from them as is, but I guess my question here is, will doing so kill them completely, or is it worth a shot? Of course, other suggestions are very welcome! I have a leucophylla and flava var. Cuprea in there that I'd love to see back. The rest are expendable garden centre bought hybrids that I won't mourn too much in the event that I kill them completely!

Thanks in advance!

Have they flowered? That can cause them to be very late with the pitchers.  Having said that, I noticed several of mine haven't budged half an inch yet while I was in the greenhouse yesterday. leucos and minors. 

I'd leave well alone and just wait. I have one (small) one that's done this. It did flower and it is only just throwing it's first pitcher up - about an inch now. Others in the same tray are in full growth (and also flowered) so seems very variable.

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2018 at 10:55 AM, 3Star said:

What conditions are you growing them in i.e. inside/outside, amount of light they receive, watering etc ?

They're in a cold frame which, during this heat, has been mostly left open so really only functions as a wind guard! They get full sun from around 11am til sunset and I use the tray method for watering. They're standing in about 1-2".

On 6/12/2018 at 11:02 AM, Richard Bunn said:

Have they flowered? That can cause them to be very late with the pitchers.  Having said that, I noticed several of mine haven't budged half an inch yet while I was in the greenhouse yesterday. leucos and minors. 

They haven't ever flowered in the time I've had them. 

On 6/15/2018 at 11:57 PM, Dunc said:

I'd leave well alone and just wait. I have one (small) one that's done this. It did flower and it is only just throwing it's first pitcher up - about an inch now. Others in the same tray are in full growth (and also flowered) so seems very variable.

I ended up just going for it and it would seem most of them have sprung into life since doing so. I cut off chunks of dead rhizome and potted them in fresh media with as little root disturbance as possible. Some of them were tissue cultured hybrids from a nursery that have only just started to put new growth out since I did it, but the Leucophylla and Flava var. Cuprea have put out several 6-8" pitchers since. I fear they'd just have succumbed to rot if I hadn't done anything.

Thanks for the input, guys. Sorry I'm only just responding... I didn't have notifications on so I assumed nobody responded & hadn't seen your replies until now. My bad!