Adrian Slack has left the building

Hope he passed peacefully and without pain.

Whilst I never had the pleasure of knowing him personally, one cannot ignore the massive influence he's had on Carnivorous Plant cultivation and knowledge.

Details of Adrian's memorial service are as follows:

SLACK Adrian Of Barton-St-David. 
Passed away peacefully on 3rd June 2018. 

Cremation Private. Thanksgiving Service at Barton-St-David Parish Church on Thursday 14th June at 3.30pm. 

Family flowers only. Donations if desired, for Barton-St-David Church (cheques payable to Barton-St-David PCC) may be forwarded to Forsey and Son Funeral Directors, 28 High Street, Butleigh, Glastonbury BA6 8SY.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:44 AM, Richard Bunn said:

Details of Adrian's memorial service are as follows:

SLACK Adrian Of Barton-St-David. 
Passed away peacefully on 3rd June 2018. 

Cremation Private. Thanksgiving Service at Barton-St-David Parish Church on Thursday 14th June at 3.30pm. 

Family flowers only. Donations if desired, for Barton-St-David Church (cheques payable to Barton-St-David PCC) may be forwarded to Forsey and Son Funeral Directors, 28 High Street, Butleigh, Glastonbury BA6 8SY.

Thank you Richard.

Still none the wiser who the cheques are going to. Who is PCC ? Don't know why I am worrying, I won't be giving anything anyway.

Slightly surprised about the lack of interest from so few people on the forum. I thought that he was a god among CP enthusiasts.

Hello, I must say that much of my passion for carnivorous plants comes from Adrian Slack's book "How to grow canivorous plants?" This book is more than a book on carnivorous plants. His drawings, his style have made me read and reread this book dozens of times. I even remember that he thanked a brand of whiskey! But I do not know who he was in life, maybe I'll find some answers.

This book made me dream a lot, it was a gold mine, and 25 years later I continue to grow these plants...
Good bye Mr. Slack.

Laurent. (France)

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1

I too have his book, which I do keep referring back to as it is well written. Also have a drosera that was named after him which is doing very well.

So even though he has gone he will always be remembered. 

Farewell Mr Slack

I saw this on Facebook in the week, very sad news indeed. He was an inspiration to so many including myself. 

His was the first book I got bought when I started collecting Carnivorous Plants nearly 19 years ago. I am proud to say I have some of his famous plants in my collection and I also have a couple of the stunning S x Moorei named after him. 

I met him once back in the early '80s when we visited his nursery. It was the TV program he did on carnivorous plants that got me into the hobby and after watching that I bought his 1st book. There was no internet in those days so all communication had to be done by letter, and I do remember how helpful he was and still have a note he wrote me on plant availability.

3 hours ago, linuxman said:

I met him once back in the early '80s when we visited his nursery. It was the TV program he did on carnivorous plants that got me into the hobby and after watching that I bought his 1st book. There was no internet in those days so all communication had to be done by letter, and I do remember how helpful he was and still have a note he wrote me on plant availability.

Can you remember the name of the tv show? Will see if I can find it on the internet somewhere

On 6/10/2018 at 6:50 PM, David Ahrens said:

Still none the wiser who the cheques are going to. Who is PCC ? Don't know why I am worrying, I won't be giving anything anyway.

Slightly surprised about the lack of interest from so few people on the forum. I thought that he was a god among CP enthusiasts.

David the cheques are going to the PCC (Parochial Church Council).  The standard term for a parish church council.  

1 hour ago, pirks said:

Can you remember the name of the tv show? Will see if I can find it on the internet somewhere

It was an episode of Nature Watch aired in 1981.  I was too young to watch it.  It's not on Youtube though.  

There was a book that went with the film.  It can be read here... http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/Adrian_Slack.pdf

I must read it again. It's been a while.  

Adrian was so influential in my growing from an early age.  I remember my first Sarracenia (a leucophylla) came from Marston Exotics at the Royal Cornwall Show in the days when Adrian owned it.  I wanted them all, my Dad allowed me one.  I may have even met Adrian that day but I can't remember as I was so young and I had no idea who he was.  I was just buying a plant from a stand at the county show.  Sadly the leuco didn't make it through dormancy in my care even though I was doing the right things, but my next plant did.  

My favourite plant ever was something very simple.  It was my second and I bought it from Adrian's nursery.  It was a simple T-form Drosera binata that never forked more than once.  It was a smaller form, not flopping all over the place like some of these more modern loudmouth showy-offy binatas constantly going on about how many points they've got! :roll:  I had that plant for many years in a large hanging basket outside in the summer and in my Dad's unheated greenhouse during winter.  I even used to come and look after it when I got married as back then my wife was terrified of the CPs.  She soon changed.  I had that plant right up until I moved to Ireland when I left it with my parents and they failed to water it in the growing season.  I was lucky enough to get that exact clone that came originally from Adrian back into my collection last year.  So in a way it's like I never lost it.  Some good old things that we are meant to have are never lost for good for they will make it back into our lives again one day at the right time.  It's currently in flower, filling a different hanging basket. practically submerged in water.  It lives next to my chair in the greenhouse 

I still remember the Marston Exotics catalogues.  I used to get a new one every year.  If anybody has any of them then please let me know as I would like to compile a bit of an archive of old CP nursery catalogues in PDF format.  If you could scan them, and forward them to me, it'd be great.  

• Like 1

I managed to get a book of his a couple of years ago and this planted a seed. Yes, he will always be truly inspirational, and, like other great people, will never be forgotten. It may be of interest to know that Paul (P&J carnivorous Plants, Hereford.) continues Mr. Slacks work in Hereford, having taken over Marston Exotics several years ago. I met Paul and his wife at his open day a couple of weeks ago, and, within minutes, it was obvious that his depth of knowledge and enthusiasm was vast. He also keeps a national Sarracenia collection, and other carnivorous plants, many of which he inherited from Mr. Slack and which he has subsequently cultivated. Thank you Mr. Slack, and to all others who add to our knowledge on a daily basis.

Hi All,

Dennis, Roy Cheek, and myself attended Adrian’s funeral yesterday. It was great to hear the eulogy, delivered by Adrian’s cousin Nikolai Tolstoy (I knew there was a family link there somewhere), spinning yarns of his years with Adrian.

The tiny church in Barton St David was full, the sun was shining, and there was a gathering in one of Adrian’s favourite haunts, The Quarry in Keinton, afterwards.

A touching, and deeply personal tribute to a man, who for me and many of us, was the introduction to this remarkable group of plants.

Nigel H-C

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

:(

I never paid his name much attention since I only started this obsession a year ago when the time was right. I know of drosera slackii and ive got a sarracenia adrian slack but I never thought much of the person behind the names until now, when his passing has brought things into light. Next time I go into my temperate greenhouse today im going to look at my sarracenia adrian slack and appreciate things a lot more.

Edited by Zerbirus
missed 1 word
  • Like 1