Twisted Pitchers - Help Please

ROBERT JOHNSON

Hi

I've been away for a week and when I got back I discovered these twisted pitchers. They were fine and straight when I left.

I think they have been attacked by a bug of some sort - thrips? The little white evil dots in the photo! I've treated with Provado. Have I done the right thing?

I've only been keeping sarracenia for 9 months so still learning.

Help appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

20180508_172240-03.jpeg

Hi, a thrips attack almost bleach the pitchers, usually aphids puncture do this kind of damage, provado should take care of these "lovely" critters.

Hello Robert,      dodgey peat can also cause these symptoms too.

some suppliers add fertilizer or broken bags with additives in so they don't waste anything and mix it up and re-bag it.

I would have thought if they were straight when you left,they would be showing aphids on them.  Aphids hiding in the crown would affect them earlier and not let them grow straight from the start

ada

some suppliers add fertilizer or broken bags with additives in so they don't waste anything and mix it up and re-bag it.

I would have thought if they were straight when you left,they would be showing aphids on them.  Aphids hiding in the crown would affect them earlier and not let them grow straight from the start

ada

ada

• 3 weeks later...

Seen this as well with aphids, especially on soft new growth in spring under cover. Only takes a few too!

You've sprayed so may be ok now - just watch closely. If you see them you can often just rub them off (dead) with your fingers. The pictures that have been damaged may not grow much now but more should show soon. 

Hi Dunc

There may be more to this than first thought. I've not seen any aphids on my plants. My plants were in Vitax peat. When I asked them about additives they said it contained fertilizer! When I pointed out their so called PURE peat could be killing my plants they back tracked quickly. I repotted my plants anyway. (See postings under Vitax Irish Peat) it's just a waiting game now. 

15 hours ago, ROBERT JOHNSON said:

Hi Dunc

There may be more to this than first thought. I've not seen any aphids on my plants. My plants were in Vitax peat. When I asked them about additives they said it contained fertilizer! When I pointed out their so called PURE peat could be killing my plants they back tracked quickly. I repotted my plants anyway. (See postings under Vitax Irish Peat) it's just a waiting game now. 

Shame about that Robert, a few aphids would have been easier to deal with than the peat!  Hope your plants quickly recover.

Edited by Dunc

This is never ever any damage caused by fertilzed peat.

It s a typical aphid damage. It can be that you cant see them, but they are there.

This year is an aphid year again. I also have to fight them.

Spray some pest fighter´e-g.: careo

Change the peat, fertilizers in an uncontrolled way may be harmful.

Smal ammounts of fertilizers supports the plants.

BT