Netjer

Which Nepenthes to Buy?

Recommended Posts

Is that a clone or seed grown? I dont particularly like the chocolate lime colouration of spectabilis hybrids (something im coming to terms with with maximas) but the botom pitcher has a really nice contrast between the peristome and body

One of my ventricosa x inermis pitchers next to its 2 basals which is my favorite ventricosa hybrid im growing right now and is really easy to grow too

35650131_2155502054522830_2266763651543203840_n.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is seed grown from Borneo Exotics (BE-3560 N. Spectabilis Giant x N.Ventricosa Madja-as).

 

It has the weird habit of changing the body color depending of the season, when cold pitchers are more garnet, but when the summer temps arrive it turns more green and the inner wall can color up completely hiding its Spectabilis speckles.

 

I don't have a pic of my own of it right now but there is a pic in hampshire carnivores (first pic was my plant):

 

https://www.hantsflytrap.com/nmc3560-n-spectabalis-x-n-ventricosa-679-p.asp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2018 at 10:44 PM, Netjer said:

So, bumping this up. Any thoughts on ventricosa x hamata? I know they're both highland species and hamata has a reputation for being harder to grow, but reading up on this hybrid I've read a lot of things to say that they're actually not too fussy to grow. It sounds like it takes more after the ventricosa (which applies to the peristome as well unfortunately, as the darker colouration of hamata is stunning). 

Any thoughts on viability as an indoors plant?

Ive just won a 2nd on ebay to replace one of my 2 that died during winter/acclimatization/overzealous watering. In the meanwhile the one I do have has opened a pitcher and creating a 2nd, absolutely stunning hybrid, love the red which makes me want rhh but i do have a BE aristochioides x rhh which is nice. I had to come back to recommend it once you can keep the local humidity higher, such a nice hybrid..

36290245_2173980392674996_1034884146771525632_n.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is gorgeous - thanks for sharing, Zerbirus!

Once I'm a bit more confident with neps and am able to provide a more suitable environment for one I will definitely give it a try. Eventually I'd like to try hamata itself, so this could be a step towards it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Netjer said:

That is gorgeous - thanks for sharing, Zerbirus!

Once I'm a bit more confident with neps and am able to provide a more suitable environment for one I will definitely give it a try. Eventually I'd like to try hamata itself, so this could be a step towards it! :)

My wistuba clone 1 is doing fine, only lost 1 baby pitcher acclimatizing and now 2 are puffing up, im surprised how well its doing. I brought another bottlecap humidifier to stand a foot away just to keep that area's humidity high when venting in this heat we're getting. Still a long way to go but as long as its happy

36376875_2174626979277004_8449332300625215488_n.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hamatas are easier than most people think, but they still require some experience dealing with the highland species. 

N. Ventricosa x Hamata is waay more tolerant to lower humidity and higher temps. I have two, one as a windowsill plant and this one under a growing LED lamp:

78IHgwCr.jpg

 

As for the pure species, I have two Wistuba clones, #1 and #3. Clone #1 is a bit more tolerant to warmer temps (my summers are a nightmare for any true highland)...

 

This is #1:

CDuFDHc.jpg

 

And this one clone #3:

16JObdR.jpg

 

I had them for more than a year and half and they had been steady growers (except for the summer months). For this year I already bought a portable AC, we will see if it helps. The pitchers aren't as big as the pics I can see online but still I'm quite happy of the result:

yT2mzUH.jpg

 

And this is the other parent of the hybrid, N. Ventricosa. I have two cuttings acclimatizing, and the only one growing pitchers right now is my tiny N. Ventricosa red:

khCKx6hr.jpg

 

I have it next to the N. Ventricosa x Hamata under the LED lamp.

Edited by Whitefox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ventri x ham should be very similar to yours when its a little older, which is a good thing. Glad to know clone 1 is ok with higher temps, getting 26c regularly here and close to 27c on 24c days. My portable ac unit arrived today so heres hoping I can keep it closer to 25.5c max. My ventricosa is still a little baby, its made a leaf jump and started a proper pitcher now so it shouldnt be long until i see more. Speaking of ventricosa I do have a burkei which is doing really well.

36338154_2174799389259763_8849177804374278144_n.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They really look like that pic from Borneo Exotics with the frog inside, right? :laugh:

 

According to my experiments from last year, N. Hamata can take up to 28~29c but above that they will start to lower their lids. The problem for me is that were I live night temps can be up to 26c in the worst weeks... even after lowering their night temps with ice packs they ended up being stressed.

When the tank is close to the AC it can keep the temps inside around 19c, hope that is enough, at least they grow with those temps in spring and autumn. The things we do for these plants.

 

I tried a few times to grow N. Burkei without any luck, but I really like it. And attempting N. Burkei x Hamata was a disaster for me :sad: I wanted them because of their darker coloration, but the Ventricosa cross had been way easier in the end.

Edited by Whitefox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm jealous of your growing conditions.  If I could grow them outside I'd have more than just a windowsill full of Nepenthes.  I don't think they'd like snow somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whitefox said:

They really look like that pic from Borneo Exotics with the frog inside, right? :laugh:

According to my experiments from last year, N. Hamata can take up to 28~29c but above that they will start to lower their lids. The problem for me is that were I live night temps can be up to 26c in the worst weeks... even after lowering their night temps with ice packs they ended up being stressed.

When the tank is close to the AC it can keep the temps inside around 19c, hope that is enough, at least they grow with those temps in spring and autumn. The things we do for these plants.

Last year when I brought mine I searched for pics and it was those exact pics from robert cantley on another forum that made me buy it. I have seen clones in the micropop with dark peristomes although I prefer the red.

I think nights only get upto 15-16 in the uk summer on hot nights, the sight of reading 26c really did give me a shock.

Yes, the things we do for nepenthes... the setup costs and especially the heating costs during winter and now im going to have cooling costs until autumn too

Im interested in dr wistuba's hamata x campanulata but with no pics anywhere its hard to justify €45 when hamata is only €5 more 

aristolochioides x red hairy hamata

36367582_2175006382572397_1173178352786210816_n.jpg

Edited by Zerbirus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Richard Bunn said:

I'm jealous of your growing conditions.  If I could grow them outside I'd have more than just a windowsill full of Nepenthes.  I don't think they'd like snow somehow.

It is extremely rare to see snow here since I live close to the coast, perhaps once or twice in the entire winter we wake up with a bit of snow after a cold wave, but by midday it is all already gone. It is not easy to find Neps that can endure both highland and lowland temps.

 

17 hours ago, Zerbirus said:

Last year when I brought mine I searched for pics and it was those exact pics from robert cantley on another forum that made me buy it. I have seen clones in the micropop with dark peristomes although I prefer the red.

I think nights only get upto 15-16 in the uk summer on hot nights, the sight of reading 26c really did give me a shock.

Yes, the things we do for nepenthes... the setup costs and especially the heating costs during winter and now im going to have cooling costs until autumn too

Im interested in dr wistuba's hamata x campanulata but with no pics anywhere its hard to justify €45 when hamata is only €5 more 

aristolochioides x red hairy hamata

36367582_2175006382572397_1173178352786210816_n.jpg

That peristome looks promising :laugh:

Your summer hot nights are the temps we have in the winter during the day lol. 

Where did you see the clones with the dark peristomes? I've seen pics of Ventricosax Hamata with reddish pitchers, but not with dark peristomes. Both clones I have look very similar.

Edited by Whitefox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Whitefox said:

Where did you see the clones with the dark peristomes? I've seen pics of Ventricosax Hamata with reddish pitchers, but not with dark peristomes. Both clones I have look very similar.

https://www.terraforums.com/forums/tropical-pitcher-plants-nepenthes-/127039-ventricosa-hamata-hybrids-8.html

page 10 is what sold me ofc :) replacement 2nd arrived today, some pitchers are really red, a couple are green, be interesting to see how this one differs as it gets older

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Zerbirus said:

https://www.terraforums.com/forums/tropical-pitcher-plants-nepenthes-/127039-ventricosa-hamata-hybrids-8.html

page 10 is what sold me ofc :) replacement 2nd arrived today, some pitchers are really red, a couple are green, be interesting to see how this one differs as it gets older

Wow that one really inherited the N. Hamata coloration! The previous pic BE used for its catalogue was really red too, but it seems that our green ones with red speckles are more common.

 

IQpPNj2.jpg

Edited by Whitefox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that pic / 3218 are seed, ours are probably the later 3672 where the tree frog picture came from which is a 24 micropop

the other 3218 pics from BE all show the darker peristome, wish they'd re-release robmata, much nicer than the spathulata hybrid

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm not mistaken when BE releases a seed grown cross they keep some to clone them in vitro, so technically our plants should be brothers with the previous release.

 

I tried several times to grab a Robmata but I'm always late. :sad: and the price skyrocketed. I still like more the pure Hamata, though.

 

BTW I just found that one of my two N. Ventricosa (porcelain) cuttings that looked like they weren't doing anything was inflating a hidden pitcher. It was in the back so I didn't notice it until I grabbed the pot to check the growing point. So far it seems to like the same temps than my red form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whitefox said:

BTW I just found that one of my two N. Ventricosa (porcelain) cuttings that looked like they weren't doing anything was inflating a hidden pitcher. It was in the back so I didn't notice it until I grabbed the pot to check the growing point. So far it seems to like the same temps than my red form.

if you ever take a cutting again in the future, its on my want list :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Zerbirus said:

if you ever take a cutting again in the future, its on my want list :)

I bought them from another user, but if you are still looking for it when I can make my own I'll let you know if you're still around here :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Whitefox said:

I bought them from another user, but if you are still looking for it when I can make my own I'll let you know if you're still around here :)

i'll be around, nepenthes arent just for christmas :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now