AlliRH

My venus wont close :/

I have recently got this Venus flytrap as a gift from a friend and I attempted to feed it a small earthworm, and it didnt respond. It had a few dead leaves which i removed carefully and i tried to stimulate it - nothing. Advice?

It's possible all of these leaves are from before it went in hibernation, so none of them will be functional anymore and you'll have to wait a bit longer for new leaves. It seems like there are already some new leaves but they're deformed, is it getting enough light and water? Are there any aphids on the leaves?

Also, keep in mind that you should really only feed a Dionaea with live insects. The hairs on the insides of the leaves need to be triggered multiple times when the leaf's already closed for the plant to recognise it's food and not just debris that accidentally triggered the hairs. I'm also not sure if it's even able to digest earthworms.

It hasn't got any fresh 2018 traps by the looks of it. Wait a few weeks and it should be good to go. 

I have the trap in a dish of boiled and then cooled water and its in the kitchen next to a window. 

South facing window? Only use rainwater, not boiled tap water or bottled water although distilled water can be used but could get expensive when we live in a country as wet as the UK. Put a bucket outside and use the rainwater collected from that to water the plant.

Edited by pirks