Tips on caring?

AlliRH

Keep it as warm and sunny as possible (indoors, if you put it outdoors during summer it should be in the shade because the sunlight is much stronger then), and make sure it doesn't dry out. Rainwater or demineralised/distilled water is recommended, but Nepenthes don't really care as much as other carnivorous plants. It's okay if you add some water to the pitchers (it's bound to happen in nature, too), but isn't really necessary as the pitchers fill themselves up anyway. It's likely the pitchers it currently has will all drop in a few months time, and it's also likely it will take a long time before it starts forming new pitchers. As long as it's producing new leaves, it's fine and it should eventually adapt to the climate inside your house. Not much else to add, this is a strong hybrid that can survive a lot.

12 hours ago, AlliRH said:

I just got a bloody mary pitcher plant and i am new to carnivorous plant keeping, so have any tips? Also, it did not have any liquid in the pitchers so i gave them a tiny bit of water. Would that help?

Hi AlliRH I have also just got a bloody Mary stunning looking plant will let you know if I learn anything new .I also topped up pitchers with rainwater ,also popped in a couple of caterpillars I found in the garden for a tasty treat, I have mine in a terrarium with night temp of 13-15 ,and day temp of 24-25 with humidity 65+ ,l was thinking of putting outside but not sure best time of year to do it.

Edited by Paul.m
More info

I have an N. ampullaria x spectabilis.
You can add a little RO, Distilled or rain water to the pitchers. Use a TDS meter to check your tap water. Some areas have low TDS and the tap water is safe to use.

Mine is growing in my mini Greenhouse. But it will outgrow it soon.

Mine is also a very hardy hybrid.
2a295e8bd38ebe5caa89ff4f9c957fc4.jpg55c53ac226af47714a4c2d2204c646e8.jpgdd84e60c58c6ab35f2d46e4f7a9ee87c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Paul.m said:

Hi AlliRH I have also just got a bloody Mary stunning looking plant will let you know if I learn anything new .I also topped up pitchers with rainwater ,also popped in a couple of caterpillars I found in the garden for a tasty treat, I have mine in a terrarium with night temp of 13-15 ,and day temp of 24-25 with humidity 65+ ,l was thinking of putting outside but not sure best time of year to do it.

Be careful throwing caterpillars inside the pitchers, if they're still alive they can eat their way out and cause a lot of damage. You can put the plant outside like most houseplants as soon as it's getting reasonably warm (so around this time), but you don't really have to.

• 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, Chris444 said:

Hi I am new to carnivorous plants, today I bought a Bloody Mary. I was looking to see how to care for it, one site says it was non-hardy, but I want to have it outside.

could you advise?

Ipswich Australia: you can proboably have it outside all year in a shaded place and some misting.

Ipswich uk: it cannot survive the winter, you need to take it inside.

Br

Magnus