Sign in to follow this  
DarkHorse

Questions about nepenthes care.

I’m so happy my nepenthes has finally started producing proper pitchers. They look fairly decent now if a little small.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/153357702@N06/3m07Kg

My issue is that some of the pitchers seem to be going brown and have these spots on them. See the pictures. So I wondered 2 things:

1: how do I tell what kind of nepenthes I have? It was so long ago when I bought this plant I didn’t keep the label. Would I have to wait for the pitchers to get more developed or something else?

2: Is this browning and dying of the pitchers normal. I have them under this makeshift “terrarium”, as I read that humidity is important in these plants in a south facing window. Does this seem right? I water them with tap water, again I read that with these plants tap water is okay.

Any help would be great. I am fairly new to CPs and hope that I can keep this Nepenthes healthy.

Thank you all.

(PS, I have no idea if I am doing this image upload thing right, if there is a better way please let me know)

It is too young to identify, since all Nepenthes look similar when are that young. You need yo wait until the pitchers show some adult characteristics, then people could help you with that.

Are these the old pitchers that the plant had when it arrived? If they are empty of liquid that could explain it. My plant pitchers usually dry from the top part or go all brown at the same time.

Hello,

the plant looks like healthy, so I think this is caused by normal growing activity. Remember pitcher plant needs a lot of light, but not the direct sun. Maybe it will be better to repot the plant and give her bigger pot.

Good luck!

Petr