jasperD

how to get rid of moss

Hello

Last year I've bought a u. bisquamata it was a nice plant but there was a big layer of moss in the pot. The plant grew a bit slower in the winter and now the moss is getting bigger than the plant and I'm afraid that the moss will suffocate the little leafs of the utric. How can I get rid of the moss without damaging the leafs of the utric? If it isn't clear I can take a picture tomorrow but now it's too dark.

Take care

Jasper

Try flooding the pot. Moss typically don't like to be underwater but the Utricularia will be fine.

Thank you for the tip. I will let you know if it works.

Don't think there is any way to completely get rid of the moss, without harming the Utrics...

Moss will always find a way to infiltrate where they find suitable growing conditions, so starting a new pot with only Utrics planted, and discarding the moss overgrown one, will only solve the problem till new moss spores fibd their way into the new one.

I'd say only way is manual removal with long nose tweezers, to keep the moss in check.

In my setups I find the Utrics don't actually mind the moss cover, they still grow well and flower all the time during the warmer seasons.

I think you will be lucky to find any plant which will out-compete Utricularia bisquamata! Virtually all my pots have a bit of this Utricularia , irrespective of how much moss they have.

Thanks for your tips guys. It seems like I was a bit worrying to much about it. I will see how it goes. 

Jasper