Beenut

I’m a worry wart can someone help me

I have a very large nephenthes that I have been taking care of since last year. To survive the cold winter I took it inside to a sunroom. Since it has started warming up I went ahead and put it outside and to my joy it has begun to blossom! One thing that worries me though is I realized a good handful of the leaves are getting ever so slightly brown and frail. It’s not on all of them but definitely on parts farthest away from the base. I only gave my nephenthes a few meal worms over the winter out of both testing and because I felt it needed something to eat. Do you think it’s turning brown because of the lack of bugs I have fed it or because of the sudden introduction to unfiltered sunlight? Thanks for reading. Any solace/instruction appreciated.

It would be supportive, if you could post some photos. :)

What species of Nepenthes is it?

What temperatures do you have now (day and night)?

16 hours ago, Baeutytube said:

It would be supportive, if you could post some photos. :)

What species of Nepenthes is it?

What temperatures do you have now (day and night)?

Sorry for the long time to reply. I can’t say what species my nephenthes is honestly. I got it from pikes and the only information that was given was “nepenthes.” The temp has been well above the 50s both day and night. It is now getting about 6-8 hours of direct sun a day and it’s only been about for 2 days now. The leaves are just worrying me because they aren’t looking very green like a tropical plant as they have always seemed in the past.

5BF51810-4822-45C1-AC0C-897035B40AE5.jpeg

50º Fahrenheit, I suppose? According to my calculator, that's only 10ºC. If this is not a species which naturally grows in colder conditions on higher altitudes, it's certainly suffering from the low temperatures. Either way, if the daytime temperatures aren't significantly higher than that, it's going to suffer no matter the species. Add to that the sudden extra of a lot of direct sunlight, and you're guaranteed to run into problems like these. Worst case scenario, it started blooming as a last-ditch effort to spread its seeds - although it's most likely just a coincidence, and the plant will survive.

Thank you for the pic and the Information.

I am pretty sure that your plant has sunburn. If I am right, this is an alata hybrid (I would be more sure if I could see a picture from a pitcher).

If this is the case, the 50 °F overnight should be tolerated. My alata has no problem to manage this temperatures.

Shadow your plant and extend the direct sunlight duration day by day. You could use some greenish transparent foliage from the gardening store. This will also stabilize the temperatures a bit.

As an examle: https://www.amazon.de/Gew%C3%A4chshausfolie-Gitterfolie-Fr%C3%BChbeetfolie-Gartenfolie-verschiedene/dp/B01BTZM53E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519452138&sr=8-5&keywords=folie+gr%C3%BCn+gew%C3%A4chshaus

On 2/23/2018 at 10:39 PM, Beenut said:

Sorry for the long time to reply. I can’t say what species my nephenthes is honestly. I got it from pikes and the only information that was given was “nepenthes.” The temp has been well above the 50s both day and night. It is now getting about 6-8 hours of direct sun a day and it’s only been about for 2 days now. The leaves are just worrying me because they aren’t looking very green like a tropical plant as they have always seemed in the past.

5BF51810-4822-45C1-AC0C-897035B40AE5.jpeg

The photo is a bit blurry, but it looks like a bit of leaf-scorch, and also the younger leaves developing the red protective pigment in response to high light levels. As they mature they become green. 

What are your day and night temperatures in Celcius/Centigrade?