Sign in to follow this  
David Ahrens

Just repotted VFT's in coir.

I have just repotted 12 VFT's in 2 parts coir to 1 of the usual sand.

I hope that this more successful than the Melcourt mix which they were in last year. I have used this brand of coir before with success.  The corms were very small, not what I would expect for a year's growth.

I will probably let everyone know how I get on.

Hi David, i tried to grow some VFT's in a mix of coir and coarse sawdust or perlite and the plants were very fine.

I have tried this mix years ago in my brand of trusted coir and it was fine. It seems to be the Melcourt that they don't like. I know that Annette Bell did trials in Melcourt and they were OK, so I don't know what I did wrong.

Hi David. What brand of coir are you using? I’m keen to try coir but have been put off by warnings that some coir contains salt. Did you have to rinse your coir to remove any salt before using it?

would love to know how your plants get on.

I get my coir from Garden Direct, through the post, the postage is not expensive. I bought my last lot from their nursery near Welwyn Garden City, but that is miles from you. I usually buy 8 bricks at a time. Make sure you get unfertilized bricks. You can tell because the fertilized ones have green flecks in them.

There are other suppliers but I have used Garden Direct in the past and find it reliable. You don't have to soak it before use. It is free of salt.

The bricks are dried and compressed and you put them with water for a while. They just swell up and each brick makes about a washing up bowl of damp coir.

I think that the address for mail order is near Nazeing, Herts, but I am not sure. Just do a search for Garden Direct on Google. The more bricks you buy, the cheaper it gets.