Westland peat moss

Hi all. Have any UK growers used or had problems using Westland peat moss? I’m looking to buy a 100 litre bag but I’ve heard that Westland sometimes bulk their peat moss with normal compost so don’t use for CP’s.

What brand of peat moss is everybody using?

Thanks

Edited by Oddworld1000

I've had bad results with westlands. 

Sarras seemed ok but a lot of my vft's and ceph's were struggling / regressing. 

I repotted all of the ceph's and  vft's into shamrock Irish moss peat at the end of last season and they were already perking up. Hoping they'll do much better this season. 

I'll make a start on the sarras in the coming weeks...

If you google "shamrock Irish moss peat suppliers" you should get a result from ' ernestdoepower.com' . They have a branch locater showing 2or 3 shops around your area. They do 120litres of shamrock for £7-50 but it's not back in stock until spring , I had to order mine in anyhow so give them a bell mate .

cheers chris

Edited by Blocky71
Error
  • Thanks 1

Great, thank you all for your replies. I’m glad I asked. 

Thank you too Chris. There’s an ernnestdoepower store 11 miles from me. I’ll give them a call.

Very helpful feedback from all of you. I’m out of date as my last decent CP collection was 20 years ago in South Africa. Currently have  1 ceph, 1 VFT and 1 S. leucophylla. All need repotting. Also just received a pack of 250 mixed Drosera seeds which need to be sown, no idea what’s going to pop up. 

I had a bog garden 7 years ago which was filled with Westland peat, only the Sarra survived, the Drosera and VFT’s just faded away over a couple years.

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by Oddworld1000

On 05/02/2018 at 1:46 PM, Blocky71 said:

If you google "shamrock Irish moss peat suppliers" you should get a result from ' ernestdoepower.com' . They have a branch locater showing 2or 3 shops around your area. They do 120litres of shamrock for £7-50 but it's not back in stock until spring , I had to order mine in anyhow so give them a bell mate .

cheers chris

Handy tip :thumbsup: that's where I bought mine from. Good to know it's coming back into stock too. 

My few local suppliers seem to have changed over to Westland in the last twelve months, presumably there is a financial reason for doing so. Knowing the previous experiences of other growers and indeed myself I asked the question of Westland and got the following reply.

Hi Steve, 

Please be assured that we do not bag old unused peat in our bags. All of our growing medias will have fertiliser added as part of its formulation, the only peat product we produce that does not contain any fertilser is our Irish Moss Peat which is just moss peat (5.5 pH) and nothing else.

We hope this helps

Kind regards

Jamie Jones

Technical Advisory

So so in theory all is well.

Cheers

steve

I've never even seen their moss peat for sale here just north of London. I may just not yet have encountered a clash, but I often use their products and on the face of it have found them to be very good. With just one exception, in a way...

This new thing they make - "Gro-Sure Smart Cover" Takes an age and a half to "fluff up" as they recommend, and even if you do, it covers way less than they say. I left this review on Crocus..

"I have been a professional gardener since 1996 and was very interested to try this product, which I did for the first time today.
The product itself seems very good, and it seems believable that it will knit together after being wetted.
However, the claims that one bag will cover 5 square metres is simply not true. It is necessary to fiddle about with the product for quite some time to "fluff it up" as it says in the instructions. And then, 100 litres safely covers 1.5 square metres, maybe 2 square metres if you are incredibly meticulous."

I will not be using any Westland products ever again. A few years back I got some of their multi-purpose compost to re-pot some of my non-CP plants and all of the plants went downhill within a couple of weeks. Used wilko's own brand, miracle grow, arthur j. bowers in the past without problems, but westland almost killed my plants. The plants I did not re-pot were doing fine in the same conditions, only difference was the compost. So I'm staying well away from Westlands products. Unfortunately, they appear to be the only brand my local Tesco sells so no more of the convenience of picking it up with my weekly shop... The remaining bag I have sitting in the shed will be emptied onto my flower border and mixed with the existing soil.

Ok, I've just literally potted a bunch of Humata (Davallia) cuttings into Westland Multi-Purpose Compost, the one with a wetting agent. So, let's call it an experiment

240px-Twemoji2_1f468-1f3fd-200d-1f52c.svg.png

On 2/8/2018 at 7:15 PM, Oddworld1000 said:

Hi Karsty, yes you are correct it should be Westland. Not sure what I was thinking, maybe predictive text. Thanks

Oddworld, You can edit the title of this thread if you like :tu:

Karsty

On 10/02/2018 at 3:22 PM, Karsty said:

Ok, I've just literally potted a bunch of Humata (Davallia) cuttings into Westland Multi-Purpose Compost, the one with a wetting agent. So, let's call it an experiment

240px-Twemoji2_1f468-1f3fd-200d-1f52c.svg.png

Oddworld, You can edit the title of this thread if you like :tu:

Karsty

Ah, so I can if I edit the first post. Just done so. Thanks again Karsty, what would I do without you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just e-mailed the manager of the Dartford branch of ernestdoepower requesting expected stock date, I will let you know if I get a reply.

UPDATE

Wow, they replied within 20 mins

Good afternoon,

We have stock due In Thursday of this week.

How many bags are you after?

If you let me know I can put aside and also let you know when ready for collection.

Best Regards

Matt Hobbs
Parts Manager & Case IH Parts Sales Manager (SoT)
ERNEST DOE POWER
Sutton At Hone

So it appears it should be in stock on the 29/03/18 but probably better to collect after the Easter Holidays

Edited by Buster
Updated info