Aphids in a terrainum

Hi,

not tried Provado on carnivorous plants but last summer I had an aphid problem on some of my houseplants and it didn't work. It seems the buggers have developed resistance to it. In the end I completely submerged the affected plants (pots and all) in a bucket of water for 2 days. That did the trick! The plants looked a bit miserable for a while after but recovered fine and been aphid-free since.

The "best" stuff to use is SB Plant Invigorator. You can get it from eBay at a good price. It's not a poison, it works physically, so bugs can never develop resistance to it. It also does not kill the good bigger bugs. The thing with aphids is that in ideal conditions they reproduce once an hour and they are born pregnant, so you may literally need to spray once an hour 3 or 4 times, but that ought to finish them off. You have to spray very thoroughly as it only works if it touches them.

Edited by Karsty

It' a bit quiet on here and I have already ordered the provado, fingers crossed.

Thanks anyway

3 minutes ago, Karsty said:

The "best" stuff to use is SB Plant Invigorator. You can get it from eBay at a good price. It's not a poison, it works physically, so bugs can never develop resistance to it. It also does not kill the good bigger bugs. The thing with aphids is that in deal conditions they reproduce once an hour and they are born pregnant, so you may literally need to spray once an hour 3 or 4 times, but that ought to finish them off. You have to spray very thoroughly as it only works if it touches them.

• 2 weeks later...

Aphids all gone, seems safe to use on neps, helis and apina utriularia. Only downside I noticed is that my sundews didn't seem to like it as much but appear to be coming back to health again so it's a thumbs up from me.

I’m either brave or stupid but I’ve used bog standard Doff universal bug killer on my plants. Only one treatment, a very light spray. Aphids gone and plants showed no signs of stress. Sprayed my ceph 6 weeks ago, my VFT 2 weeks ago and my s. Leucophylla last winter (so my entire collection). I don’t have any drosera yet so can’t say how they would react. 

Suspect I’ll become more responsible as my collection expands.