My Nepenthes are dying...

Zerbirus

A few weeks ago I noticed my ovata was dying, followed by my ephippiata and then a basal popped up and that died too, both from the stem to the end of the leaves going black.

A couple of highland hybrids have nearly died now with talangensis x glandulifera totally brown.. My caruncalata has started going brown recently with just the top 1/3rd still green and now my lowii have started developing black bits on their leaves.

Ive had these since around september fine, they've been in a bio green jumbo propagator (heated greenhouse is still coming along) with my weather station reading 22 daytime 12pm-9pm and 13.5-14.5 12am-9am nighttime and the unreliable biogreen one reading upto 2 degrees higher depending on the outside temperature. Its just 1 plant after another and I dont know why. Ive been ill for a week so I havent had much time to notice what theyve been doing but ive still been watering them every few days.

some are doing fine, all the ventricosa hybrids for example are going great, singalana and sanguinea are just as vigorous. Rajah has popped up a little basal but its slow going. 2x spectabilis x veitchii have just lost their pitchers over the last 2-3 weeks but the leaves seem ok, highland veitchii has just made a leaf jump but has lost its pitchers etc

all i can think of is too much watering

ive got 2 media mixes (my own from lfs,perlite,peat moss and peat/bark from hants etc) and ive just been watering and letting the excess go onto capillary matting and into grooves on the base but perhaps its been too much recently since my suki has gotten very little (20ml in a peat mix every few days) and has a load of new leaves. ive just given some of the lfs mix ones some water now which i let get to the point where the top of the media was dry just in case the cause is from overwatering recently

ive just finished the last order of stuff for the greenhouse so hopefully they'll all be moved in a week and i can get to them better, perhaps i was just overcompensating for being ill and trying to make sure they were all right

2 hours ago, Minch108 said:

Thanks for the pictures, whats the humidity inside the propagator? Nepenthes can die very quickly from root rot if you think it was caused by over-watering.

humidity is 95%+ unless i leave the watering for a while like ive just done and it can drop to 75%, which i guess is coming from the lfs and not the peat moss which should hold the water better. From what i can gather the affected are some of the small nepenthes and the peat moss/bark mix ones. Thinking about it all I can think is overwatering which would explain the ones affected and how quickly the little ones die.

Wistuba dont have any lowii left so they arent going to be easy to replace, hopefully mine will be ok. Its hard to determine how much water they need inside of a propagator that then gives half of it back in the next few days, dripping down the sides, instead of keeping it in like my vitopod.

Yeah, I'm sure reducing watering will improve their growth. Maybe repot the ones in the peatmoss/ bark in the future with a less dense mixture might really help prevent too much water-retainment. If you do need to replace your N. Lowii (hopefully not), Christian Klein might have some (sg) Trusmadi available which are reasonably priced. 

Hope all the best.

5 hours ago, Minch108 said:

Yeah, I'm sure reducing watering will improve their growth. Maybe repot the ones in the peatmoss/ bark in the future with a less dense mixture might really help prevent too much water-retainment. If you do need to replace your N. Lowii (hopefully not), Christian Klein might have some (sg) Trusmadi available which are reasonably priced. 

Hope all the best.

€28 lowii christian vs €15 wistuba and they sent me an extra, costly mistake.

• Like 1

Sorry to say i doubt those affected ones will survive, how much light are they getting?  It's easy to blame watering but most neps can be stood in water with no problems, however some combination of cold/dark/wet is not good.

On 1/17/2018 at 8:53 PM, manders said:

Sorry to say i doubt those affected ones will survive, how much light are they getting?  It's easy to blame watering but most neps can be stood in water with no problems, however some combination of cold/dark/wet is not good.

natural light in a conservatory

edit: the lowiis picture shows the light level really well for daytimes with the sun peaking through the blinds sometimes, creating a nice glow onto the plants, itll be nice when spring comes back around and the mornings are brighter

Edited by Zerbirus

• 1 month later...