What size do your P. Gigantea Made her first flower?

Argo88

Hi! Only a few questions...this year, for the first time, I’ve 3 seedlings of p. Gigantea that I’ve sown 15 months ago... the biggest one is about 6 cm diameter... the 2nd one is about 5... the 3rd is about 3 cm in diameter...when I’ve bought my adult one, she first time bloom when she was about 12 cm large... have You got a different experience? Or have You grown this plant from seed? Please, tell me Yours own experiences;-)

Edited by Argo88

hi Argo, yes will do.  I got worried this earlier this year when they still hadn't flowered but was advised that as long as the leaves are dewy and growing not to worry.  Sure, I'll be sharing the news when I have any.

• 2 years later...
On 12/6/2017 at 2:04 PM, Argo88 said:

Thanks Gaz! So I think it is 12/15 cm the flower size... when my ones will make flower, I’ll write You!! Please, write me if You have news:biggrin:

Hello Argo

I said I'd post an update when my gigantea flowered so, over 2 years later, it finally happened and here it is.  At the end of last year it was about 20cm but now only about 12cm

2020-06-13 18.20.45 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gaz said:

Hello Argo

I said I'd post an update when my gigantea flowered so, over 2 years later, it finally happened and here it is.  At the end of last year it was about 20cm but now only about 12cm

Hi Gaz!!

Thanks a lot for sharing, I’m very happy than you (and  everybody) write here your own experience!!!:tu:

Your plant has a beautiful flower: very nice colour.

Don’t worry, in my growing conditions the biggest leaves are produced in September/October, just before going in dormancy;-)

This year it will be around 22/23 cm or more :tu:

hi Argo,

Thank you, I think the flower is now one of my favourite Mexs.  Thank you for the information about bigger leaves being produced in the Autumn, that would make sense thinking about mine last year.   Although it was a beautiful flower I was a bit disappointed that it only had 1 so far.  Hope yours are still doing well.

21 hours ago, Gaz said:

hi Argo,

Thank you, I think the flower is now one of my favourite Mexs.  Thank you for the information about bigger leaves being produced in the Autumn, that would make sense thinking about mine last year.   Although it was a beautiful flower I was a bit disappointed that it only had 1 so far.  Hope yours are still doing well.

Hi Gaz!!

My giganteas are still doing well, thank you!!;-)

I love this plant: carnivorous all year round, catch preys with both faces of the leaves and, as you has said, beautiful flower!!

In my experience, first time they flower very often make a single flower... next year it could be more (this year here it is very rainy, plants have wake-up in May/June and a p. gigantea that had flowered for the second year has made a single flower... I think it is due to the weather of this year)... in the next weeks look at your plant: usually after the flower stalk pinguicula gigantea divides itself... if you left the new plantlet with the mother or divide it only when it has a well formed roots system it can flower next year;-)

Edited by Argo88
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 11:36 PM, Gaz said:

Hello Argo

Hi Gaz!!! How are you? My pinguiculas are making bigger leaves, and yours?;-)

1EA91179-C35F-4352-9EB1-BBF7D3B9A050.jpeg

9397C45D-0E58-4E15-98F8-98D4FE4B8E0D.jpeg

0172FCCF-667A-413B-924A-7903A691089C.jpeg

Hi Argo,

All good here thank you, I hope the same for you.

Your gigantea is definitely living up to its name!  Mine is doing OK and as you predicted is getting bigger leaves now but nowhere near the size of yours and I haven't noticed any offsets yet.  I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

Thanks for the update.

Hi Gaz! I’m fine, thanks!

p. gigantea is a little slow growing, but it grows;-) 

Two days ago I divided mine... I post a photo for you... on the left you can see on the top the purple flower and under it the bigger one that is white flower... on the right you can see the divisions, they are rooting just now... 

2A87671F-71D7-40D2-B54D-24FA27BBEF96.jpeg

On 8/15/2020 at 9:32 AM, Argo88 said:

Hi Gaz! I’m fine, thanks!

p. gigantea is a little slow growing, but it grows;-) 

Two days ago I divided mine... I post a photo for you... on the left you can see on the top the purple flower and under it the bigger one that is white flower... on the right you can see the divisions, they are rooting just now...

Thanks Argo, looking good.  Unfortunately no offsets on mine yet but I found that they are quite easy to propagate from leaf pulls.

18 minutes ago, monopeludo said:

What light conditions do you give to the gigantea?  It is very big, I have my gigantea with artificial light, but the summers here are very hot, between 30 ° and 43 ° Celsius, I live in the south of Spain.

Mine are in a greenhouse with shading, so light conditions would be bright with filtered sunlight.  Temps have been over 40C in the greenhouse recently but now back to 20C or so.  I'm in the UK so I think Argo's conditions will be more similar to yours than mine.

8 hours ago, Gaz said:

Thanks Argo, looking good.  Unfortunately no offsets on mine yet but I found that they are quite easy to propagate from leaf pulls.

So they will divide next year!!!;-) yes, they are easy to propagate by leaf pulling, but from division they often make the flower the next spring;-)

8 hours ago, monopeludo said:

What light conditions do you give to the gigantea?  It is very big, I have my gigantea with artificial light, but the summers here are very hot, between 30 ° and 43 ° Celsius, I live in the south of Spain.

Hi!

They grow in a North/east facing windowswill... they have a lot of light but never direct sunlight;-)

On 15/8/2020 at 10:32, Argo88 said:

¡Hola Gaz! ¡Estoy bien, gracias!

pags. gigantea crece un poco lento, pero crece ;-) 

Hace dos días dividí la mía ... publico una foto para ti ... a la izquierda puedes ver en la parte superior la flor morada y debajo la más grande que es la flor blanca ... a la derecha puedes ver la divisiones, están arraigando justo ahora ... 

2A87671F-71D7-40D2-B54D-24FA27BBEF96.jpeg

What substrate do you use?

8 hours ago, adriangomezjaen said:

Pure river sand... but they do well in pure volcanic lava too... only I don’t use it because I haven’t a greenhouse and here there is a lot of strong wind... volcanic lava is too light and the pots fall dawn

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 9:21 PM, adriangomezjaen said:

My giganteas would be in something like peat, coarse (gritty )sand, small perlite, calcerous clay (cat litter), small pumice in approximately equal portions. Now I would simplify and omit pumice.

16 hours ago, Argo88 said:

Pure river sand...

To get such huge plants, do you have to give them extra any nutrient, or are you just relying on them catching their own food?

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

To get such huge plants, do you have to give them extra any nutrient, or are you just relying on them catching their own food?

Hi Gaz!

at the beginning of spring I catch bugs for them... but now they hunts a lot alone!! When they are big they catch a lot of preys... and they have a very big tray... it helps them increasing humidity and attracting mosquitos..

when they were little I fertilized them, but I don’t make it from years...  when the old leaves died, if fertilized they make a lor of algae in substrate.

I water them with tap water that stays for two days in a tray before using that... I think they appreciate calcareous water ;-)

19 hours ago, Argo88 said:

Hi Gaz!

at the beginning of spring I catch bugs for them... but now they hunts a lot alone!! When they are big they catch a lot of preys... and they have a very big tray... it helps them increasing humidity and attracting mosquitos..

when they were little I fertilized them, but I don’t make it from years...  when the old leaves died, if fertilized they make a lor of algae in substrate.

I water them with tap water that stays for two days in a tray before using that... I think they appreciate calcareous water ;-)

Thanks Argo, your conditions are interesting and very different to mine.  I hope the rest of the season grows well for you.  Hopefully I will eventually have some divisions with flowers to post.