Pinguicula watering

Lodewijkp

Hello and welcome to the forums.

For me the answer to your question would partly depend on how big are the plants and how tall are the pots they're in.  I have some P. gigantea in pots about 4 inch tall and these do stand in around 1 inch of water during the growing season.  Many of my other Mexican Pings are small and live in 2 inch pots, these stand in no more than 1cm water (sorry mixing imperial and decimal units).  I don't water again until there is no water left in the tray, but do not let the pots dry out. My P. weser is in a medium sized pot and gets the 1cm treatment.

In Winter I just add water to the tray when required so that the compost remains damp.

I understand Pings aren't that picky but I've never tried anything except rain water, your distilled should be fine for them too.

Hope this helps.

Yes this helps alot.

As a cactus guy i got confused because i've seen pictures of pinguicula on slopes growing alongside cacti and other drought tolerant plants, i guess those ones are xeric species. I will reduce my water level to 1cm instead of 1 inch and keep them damp in winter.

Pings sre really cool. I have a fly problem and at least dozens of gnats everyday, the pings pretty much catch them all.

Edited by Lodewijkp
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Lodewijkp said:

Yes this helps alot.

As a cactus guy i got confused because i've seen pictures of pinguicula on slopes growing alongside cacti and other drought tolerant plants, i guess those ones are xeric species. I will reduce my water level to 1cm instead of 1 inch and keep them damp in winter.

Pings sre really cool. I have a fly problem and at least dozens of gnats everyday, the pings pretty much catch them all.

Yes, they're not bog plants so are more tolerant of drier conditions but still prefer more humidity than cacti (in the house or greenhouse).   I use some large leafy P. tina plants in my cactus GH during the growing season as they tend to catch mainly fungus gnats and not pollinating insects.  Now the growing season for cacti is pretty much over and pollinating insects have gone for the year I've hung lots of yellow sticky cards around the GH.  Fungus gnats do seem to be abundant this year.