Nepenthes Macrophylla seeds

Party_Gecko

So I bought some nepenthes macrophylla seeds from triffid (yes they actually have some) but I don’t want to risk me not being able to germinate them. So I have decided to ask about sending them to somebody who can germinate them (on this forum) if you can germinate the seeds please pm me. When the seeds germinate You will get to keep a macrophylla seedling for yourself (You do have to send the remaining seedlings back to me).  if you are interested just pm me

A1361AF7-D4EC-4CA5-B8DB-4E723D5A8706.jpeg

Kind Regards, Party Gecko

Edited by Party_Gecko

Surely its worth having a go yourself??!!

Thats half the fun...hoping for success but half expecting failure!! There is no shame in failure. How can you win or lose if you don't run the race??

I have just had masses off N.lowii germinate...but none of my N.rajah!! If it was easy everybody would be doing it!!

Besides, how are you going to keep your surrogate seedlings alive and well if you don't already have the right cultivation conditions in place for Nepenthes??

I am now using a mix of supersphag and vermiculite having moved away from using finely chopped live green sphagnum moss which ultimately over grows the seeds/seedlings.

Fortune favours the brave Party Gecko!!

I can grow nepenthes and have some plants that are thriving producing 4 basal shoots at once. Also I have some seeds in the correct conditions to germinate. The reason for me asking this is that I 1.dont have enough space to germinate the seeds. 2. I don’t want to risk me not being able to germinate them.

If you already have good conditions for Nepenthes to grow in, you won't have any troubles getting the seeds to germinate. In fact, you even say you have the correct conditions for germination, so what's the problem? No one will be able to provide them with 'better than ideal' conditions. Besides, do you really not have the space for one 5cm pot to put those seeds in?

The thing is the seeds I have in the correct conditions have not yet germinated (I think as I’m on holiday) but I just think it would be better if someone who really knows what they are doing. Also I’m tempted to ask Hampshire cp’s if they could germinate them as I’m pretty sure they don’t have a nepenthes macrophylla (I have been to their nurserie).

Honestly I don´t think that five seeds are worth sowing them IV. Mostly you need much more to succeed with only a few of these for there are many deaf ones in a pod. Failure-rates in sowing neps are too high to get at least one seedling from only five seeds. So I´d suggest sowing them by yourself for the low amount isn´t worth the efford of sowing them IV and IF they will germinate at all they´ll also do so under regular conditions. My own experience.

• Like 1

Honestly I don´t think that five seeds are worth sowing them IV. Mostly you need much more to succeed with only a few of these for there are many deaf ones in a pod among all. Failure-rates in sowing neps are too high to get at least one seedling from only five seeds. So I´d suggest sowing them by yourself for the low amount isn´t worth the efford of sowing them IV and IF they will germinate at all they´ll also do so under regular conditions. My own experience.

Yeah, those N.lowii were quick to germinate and with a high % germination rate. Same for the N.vielliardii seeds. But alas nowt from the rajahs yet!!

I am awaiting some fresh .N.lavicola seeds right now so that might be a nice one to try.

15 years is nothing!! Isn't it???!! Only 14 years and 10 months to go then!

Andy

• Haha 1

Just so everyone knows this thing with the seeds is over as I have contacted a nursery and they may accept it so I am just telling everyone that this is no longer possible with me sending the seeds. sorry for anyone who wanted to do this but it’s over now

kind regards Party Gecko 

Edited by Party_Gecko

The reason why some seeds cannot germinate can be also in time. It doesn´t have too much time to germinate on normal soil because there are molds, mites... etc... I hade germination after about 1,5 year after seeds has been sown but on sphagnum, sand, peat....