Small pause whilst you insert your own jokes!!

Now my question. I've just built my first greenhouse an Elite High Eave with toughened glass and bar capping. Having had a few windy days I would like to know what wind speeds are considered too high to leave vents open. I am concerned that if I close all the vents because of wind that I am putting my plants, mostly Sarracenia, at risk of mold growth. Are winds gusting to 30 40 mph ok? Or what speeds would you suggest?

All advice for a new greenhouse owner would be gratefully received.

That’s something I’ve been trying to figure out too. I’ve been closing the vents and door if winds are about 30. Mine hasn’t got toughened glass though. I have installed a fan to help with air movement if the door is closed but I leave it running 24/7.

I’d be interested to see what others say though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also been using 30mph as a cut off point. I have been looking at an app on my phone which gives me forecasted windspeeds hour by hour.

If the app shows gusts of more than 30mph for more than an hour at a time I batten down the hatches.

But am I being over cautious!!

You should be fine I would have thought in any weather that isn’t very windy. I’d just close them when the Met Office gives out a yellow warning for wind

Hi Alexis

Thanks for the advice. There appears to loads of information on what to do when it's windy. But nothing to guide you as to what is considered windy!