Sign in to follow this  
Karsty

Zamioculcas zamiifolia

This is my Zamioculcas zamiifolia, hanging upside down at the side of my kitchen. I water it thoroughly once a month, with Baby Bio fertiliser, using "seepage" through a surgical drip. If I try watering it manually it just falls straight through, or I have to go back countless times doing it gradually. It always guttates for a few days after watering. It takes a bit over a litre. The 4 pale leaves are pale because they are new. It seems very happy (~8

kid2fizoRhvq-96I6pRDB4g_8p1AmaXWi9RKVtCb

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lBhH1vd5DzD3icIt1

Edited by Karsty

That's looking good. Mine is in the garden being very effectively ignored. I'll have to check to see what's its doing. What medium have you got yours planted into?

It's in the peaty compost it came in, plus a high quality coir-based compost. I wrapped the rootball in newspaper, then sphagnum, it was a bit tricky! In pots I grow Zamioculcas in a very minerally, well drained mixture. I just potted up some 'Raven' in a mix of perlite, sand, grit, topsoil, and clay.

Edited by Karsty

A few years back a tree fell over it. While I cut up and removed most of the logs I left the one over the Zami, for landscaping purposes. It's continued to grow out around the side of the log. Every now and again I get a feeling I should perhaps move it elsewhere ....... some day.

cp-n-17100503.jpg

Hmmm.... What there is of it looks good! Does it die back in your dry season?

By the way, I just watered my divisions of Z. z. 'Raven', which are in the mix described above, and I was almost horrified at how much water it absorbed! I used some capillary ribbons to hopefully remove the perched water table. Time will tell....