Where there's muck there's brass?

osmosis

Just wow :shock:

I could offer some for sale and also improve the offer, mine will come stuffed to the brim with dead insect husks. Couldn't compete with dead flowers though, been pulling them apart to see how succesful my pollination attempts were.

Edited by danl82
typo

Here's the reply.  Now we know.

"Personally I d spray them and use them as decorations. But I've had some interest from people who seem to think they can harvest seeds from them. I m not sure how true that is though."

Guy

His response:

"Seeing as they're so much easier to come by that might be something you could do. Once you've finished sending sarcastic e-mails to random people on eBay that is."

I think there's room for more fun here!

Edited by Karsty

I thought about replying with this:

"Ok, sorry.

Seriously though dude, you're selling dead leaves! Give it about a month, and I can sell you at least 50 dead leaves of Sarracenia flava maxima at trade prices, so you can sell them on for a profit. How much will you offer me?"

What do you think? 

• Haha 1

In all seriousness he might, just might, be onto something. Who knows if some florist might find them an interesting exotic, if a bit macabre, addition to an arrangement

I know at least one grower used leucophylla pitchers in a wedding bouquet, though those were fresh and I'm sure that looked great.  

However, the actual specimens he's offering look pretty ropey so I'm not sure anyone's actually going to be interested. I'm sure there are ways to dry thin leaves in such a way that they don't crumple and go brown. Also, he would have done better with a pitcher with thicker substance and more impressive size, like flava maxima

At the end of the day, perhaps don't knock it until you've tried it. I'm watching with interest....

The seller is not hurting anyone by selling dried leaves. Who knows why someone would be looking for dried Sarracenia leaves (maybe for a school project involving a herbarium), the important part is that clearly some people do, and since they aren't really the easiest plants/leaves to find in the wild, might as well buy some. No need to harass him any further (or at all to begin with) - I'm pretty sure eBay doesn't take too kindly to that, either.

10 hours ago, osmosis said:

In all seriousness he might, just might, be onto something. Who knows if some florist might find them an interesting exotic, if a bit macabre, addition to an arrangement

I know at least one grower used leucophylla pitchers in a wedding bouquet, though those were fresh and I'm sure that looked great.  

However, the actual specimens he's offering look pretty ropey so I'm not sure anyone's actually going to be interested. I'm sure there are ways to dry thin leaves in such a way that they don't crumple and go brown. Also, he would have done better with a pitcher with thicker substance and more impressive size, like flava maxima

At the end of the day, perhaps don't knock it until you've tried it. I'm watching with interest....

You can preserve 3-dimensional shape by drying plant material in dry sand, although preserving colour would be a different matter. Probably some kind of freeze-drying process.

• 3 months later...

God Almighty. I’ve sold the flowers and live pitchers before to arrangers, and often get them take my chuck-outs at the flower shows, but that is ridiculous!

Nigel HC

• Like 2