Help/ Opinion on baby Ceph clumps

Mawy_Plants

Hello all! 

I recently purchased a couple Cephalotus clumps that were shipped bareroot. None of the pitchers have opened and I can hardly tell if any of the previous growth is still growing. I have read they do take a while so I was interested in your opinion about how they're doing and if there's anything I can improve on.

Today marks two weeks since I potted these little guys. I used a mixture of peat, silica sand, and perlite. Made it pretty gritty, then topped off with sand. I top watered them a few days ago, with about 90mL each pot, barely any water hit the drip tray.

They stay outside with my other new additions that I am acclimating. They get dappled sunlight since they're in an area where our fruit trees cast a shadow most of the day. My hardiness zone is considered 10a. My latitude is 2 degrees off of Albany, AUS and longitude is a 5 degree difference. This information gave me much confidence that they will fare well in my conditions. Was I mistaken?

It has recently been less humid than usual so the other day I decided to cover each with those clear orchid pots that have a bunch of slits. I'm not sure if that's helping increase humidity, so yesterday I sprayed the inside of the pots with DI water and later sprayed the clumps directly. 

They may still be adjusting to the conditions since I'm not sure if they were intially grown indoors, but they're from barely over an hour North of me. Hopefully they're just overcoming the shock of new media, repotting, and outdoor conditions opposed to my negligence.

I would like to note a few pitchers have dried since receiving them. I can include photos from when I first potted them and a week after if that would help. 

Photos taken before I decided to clean them up a bit. I removed dead matter just this afternoon.

This is my first go with this Genus, any input would help. Many thanks!

https://imgur.com/gallery/GHj9H

Edited by Mawy_Plants

I'm not sure what you're referring to Karsty... I was told on another forum that an easy way to share images is using Imgur. These are my own photos of my plants since it will not accept me directly uploading from my phone gallery unless I edit it to a smaller size. No harm or I'll intent was meant. 

Thanks for the reply, partisangardener!

You've given me hope. Was there anything specific that you did to help them along the way? I have been told to cover them to increase humidity and others have said not to due to potential for fungus growth. What do you think?

They have been free standing for 2 weeks now and I've only watered once since repotting bc they're in a mostly shaded area. I didn't want too much moisture within the soil while I acclimate them. Also what's your preferred watering method? Top or tray watering? And if top water, right around the plant or around the circumference? 

I appreciate the input!

I water them from above and in the tray. Makes no difference so far. Some where kept  very wet in plastic pots (in winter too) and some in my special Ceramic pots where they cant get too wet.

Since Photobucket has obliterated my photos I lcan give you only a German forum thread with pictures of these pots.

https://forum.carnivoren.org/forums/topic/37411-cephalotus-mal-in-einem-speziellen-pflanzgefäß/?page=2

But you dont need that advanced pottery.

For the last two years I treat them sometimes with very little Borax  about 2 ppm  to prevent crown rot. I never had it before and so its no proof that it is good. It hardens the cell membrane and does other good stuff to plants in gerneral. But too much can be harmfull especially with boron sensitive plants like beans or strawberry.

Cephalotus never showed bad effects. On the contrary. I overtreated some to find out where to stop, but they grew on. Never had aphids or mold or any other sighn of distress,  these two years.

Partisangardener, those ceramic pots are absolutely stunning! Not to mention the array of CPs you have grown in them. Are these your own creations? I would love to learn the technique or at least tips about creating something of the like!

Ceramics was my favorite class in high school. I've been wanting to get back into the art for a while now, but never really had a use for so many bowls. Now I've learned I can incorporate two of my loves!

Again, those pieces are gorgeous and even though I cannot read a word of German, I will continue checking out your thread to see their progress!

I have seen posts regarding certain additives to help with CPs here and there in different forums and threads, I will have to look more into that if they really do help them along.

My watering has been pretty infrequent thus far. About 8 days since their last drink, I think they are due for another soon. I have been hesitant since they're still acclimating and mostly shaded so don't want them to be water logged. When I do check their moisture using bamboo skewers, they appear still party moist, media sticks to the stick. I am still covering them with clear orchid pots, but have sprayed them directly since the one time. Yesterday, I began leaving them in full sun for a couple hours to get them ready by the time winter rolls around.

Here's a glimpse of their setup if that would give you a better idea. https://imgur.com/gallery/HiG0S

Thanks again for all your input! 

Edited by Mawy_Plants

Looks good your setup.

It is dangerous to keep them in the sunshine with covering. Boiled are all plants dead. Shading is good. 

The pots are my own creation; the first ones are out of a special mixture. But I have now some out of normal lime free ceramic working well.

Make a lot of holes in the side with a stick for aeration. Structure it with a fork.

With normal clay I use something to suck up the water into the substrate. Works good and you can leave it in a tray with water. With the waterline below the substrate.

Thanks! I noticed this morning that a couple pitchers are starting to dry out... Their color has changed too and I recall seeing this occur with the others that have dried. Perhaps I should water more frequently? I watered again last night, 180ml. 

I have since removed the pots, given them a couple hours of direct light for a few days. I haven't gotten the chance to put them back out in full sun since Wednesday since I was gone in the afternoon and not able to place them back in the shade during the hottest part of the day. I will have to rearrange things in our backyard/ patio soon to get them a nice permanent spot. 

I appreciate you letting me know how you create those beautiful pieces. I have seen your posts here and there about them, got them tabbed for future reference. Haha. Do you throw regularly and decided to create fun project to combine two of your hobbies? That is what you've inspired me to do. Now to find a class near me!