What is this white stuff on my Nepenthes leaves?

Tropicat

Two weeks ago the leaves of my N. spectabilis started to look a bit different from my other Nepenthes'.
I haven't seen this before and the old leaves are still green and smooth.

Does anyone know why the leaves suddenly have this white layer and what it is? See photos below.

20170918_17470420170923_130537

Edited by Tropicat

I dont fertilise my nepenthes and i only give them rainwater. I have moved some nepenthes around, and noticed it disappeared from the leaves now. I think it is when direct sunlight hit the leaves that the leaves responded with this. They dont have leafburn. Im still not sure what to think of it.

Some of my spectabilis and spectabilis hybrids do this. It's the only species to do this and I don't have much idea why it happens but it doesn't seem to do them any harm. I think it happens to me when I let them dry out a bit sometimes, so maybe this is the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have also noticed it on some of the leaves of my N. sanguinea, but i don't think that one is pure. It could be a hybrid. I have moved them around a bit so they are not in the sunlight anymore. My neps dont really dry out, i water them every other day. It could be low humidity, so im trying to raise that as well.  I'm still trying to figure out what exactly causes it, if i think i figured it out i will let you know.

Edited by Tropicat

• 3 weeks later...