Sign in to follow this  
Karsty

Platycerium from spores

Hey Folks,

Does anyone have any experience, or advice, or links to information, about cultivating Platyceriums from spores?

I've acquired a bunch of spores from Siam Exotica...

P. alcicorne Vassei
P. bifurcatum x willinckii
P. coronarium
P. coronarium Philippense Dwarf form
P. grande
P. hillii
P. ridleyi
P. veitchii
P. wandae

I have them sown in sterile conditions in moderate to shady light, at present at room temperatures.....

Hi Karsty

I've grown various ferns from spores on several occasions over the years. I've not found Platycerium to be particularly easy compared with other ferns, but that may be due to spores not being fresh enough or not using the right medium. I'd suggest using a fairly rough textured medium of mixed substrates of low nutrient content such as peat granules, perlite, bark etc, in the hope that some of the spores will grow on something that they like!

Spores do best sown in spring in my experience, they seem to benefit from the lengthening days, of course if you use artificial lights that is another matter. I use boiling water to sterilise the substrate and then sow very sparingly. I'd probably move them to a warmer spot, if germination is too slow they inevitably get overgrown by algae.

Thanks for the info about Siam Exotics, I'd not come across them before, I've ordered some Platycerium veitchii spores myself!

I have Platycerium 'Lemoinei' which grows very well in full sun in a cool greenhouse (it is a hybrid with veitchii as one of the parents so likes the sun). It is quite easy to grow and very pretty with silver fertile fronds, and soon offsets to make a good clump. It has spores but I've never bothered to sow them.

Good luck with your spores!

:yes:

On 9/8/2017 at 10:54 PM, Ali Baba said:

Thanks for the info about Siam Exotics, I'd not come across them before, I've ordered some Platycerium veitchii spores myself!

I thought they had a minimum order of $100 ?

Spontaneous fern spore germination on the side of my Dicksonia antarctica...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/299Fyc0v5aPPRUhC2

NrZk80PcaeBAWd9x1gIIbbxIe2qzL7koQ-jPKhRPgHrNBx3KUnNpEaTKg5hGbzJyOI4fWzf3jEnfPMAUiGBlRX_k_MwHLcn00PdKkf5J7Gi597wsot7DjrwMrMcZfPdLbFPR19zDRQTTofWBz978F9YRwtzQCjDDbbTpR5naYvCZ4eSVfUWTuEoKl-KiktkKWf7jkTda365S6iVlUPxYHgRkzIQicovHyl9BXeP5B4VxJ7j6G8Cws_zzNA2pE6ZC6gx1__P9DdduCwp1rN8x67UwGgMvWnGEKkEJg1IwZNL3pu7DunPBKbzuOmo_HtXL-LjaT7v8U3I6D-VSAQQCcmAXEBChbwxSI3xZ_RV1iDM2rUPc4bikC5TDOVF-hT03ndEi6-fOYYUU5sb6LWjCpHh_qtthZO4Y_jn9YCkFfmvaDlk135XHwQ_knoQV_qJnmo9-gkg4F5-rmXzAYYhzd2LGWhTE68lKYXmRRA-CLHaoQuf6kTLZI_lHBiubsivvxxsQh1UxY28GZROQ2Pbs3102NF1dkyXZO4SNOueXiv4JYCm_hktyqUpVzhQy7Mkr0WIvSd_V6YHATv39bETkWcFHuT8sCZWKaZsyGrfMfw=w717-h950-no

Before I went on holiday this summer and couldn't water it for 8 days it was literally covered in hundreds and hundreds of them, up to about 10-12mm in size. Still, I don't mind, there's going to be plenty on it, and I also dusted it with the Platycerium spores yesterday.

Edited by Karsty

$100 for plants but no minimum order for spores apparently :yes:

It will be interesting to see what types of fern grow on the dicksonia. Mostly UK natives or spores from the original habitat of the dicksonia?

Well, It remains to be seen what these little prothallia become. I've got a very pretty small-leaved Adiantum dotted around, which is constantly producing spores.

Looks good. I usually stand my pots in a little cooled boiled water with a very weak addition of potassium permanganate . The water prevents the pots from drying out and the permanganate is supposed to stop algal growth. There are many ways to grow spores though, the key is to keep the soil moist and keep out those other spores from your cultivated ferns. Or you may end up with pots of dryopteris or adiantum :yes:

I was amazed, a few days ago I noticed spores were germinating!

So far, just P. alcicorne 'Vassei', P. grande, and P. ridleyi.

This is a photo of ridleyi, bit difficult to show anything, but you can see green through the cling film. I have these 3 pots lying on their sides now to give them a good orientation from the start. I can see I have sown far, far too many spores!

Lg0a-DyJyUcMfevBnjE-7cBTaQJDUOVT01NyqTX9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MiekRQ4rhGxNZpIs2

I know, the photo is bad!

That's good, no sign of germination of my veitchii spores yet but they are about 3 weeks or so behind yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ali,

I sowed them on 8th September. Onto "New Horizon Peat-free and organic multi-purpose compost". The day before I first cleaned the pots and sterilised them with boiling water. Then put the compost in the pots, then ran boiling water through them and immediately covered them individually with cling-film. Then sowed the spores the next day.

Edited by Karsty

Thanks, so about 5 weeks from sowing. I sowed mine on 25th on a bark/peat/perlite mix, so I guess that the first prothalli should be visible around the end of October all things being equal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's hope all things are equal! 

By the way, the really handy thing about the compost I used is that once you've given it a thorough watering, it clings together in one lump really well, so turning the pots on their side is no problem at all.

Edited by Karsty