DNS problems with CPUK

Yunzi

Not sure if this is in the admins power to solve - but I can no longer load CPUK on my home connection.

Doing a bit more digging it appears as if the google DNS servers I use (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) don't return a valid A record.  I've tried flushing the entry in googles DNS cache using their online tool, but it still gives a blank return.  Other DNS servers give the correct A record response.   I wonder if recent issues with malware have caused them to remove the record.  It may be something the CPUK ISP should investigate.

Hi folks

Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with the forum the past week where some people, myself included, cannot get the site to load.  Are you one of these people?

If so, please let myself and Steve (CPS Webmasters) know.  HOWEVER ------>>>>>>>> PLEASE DO IT VIA EMAIL TO [email protected] and NOT via private message on the forum (seeing as I can't get on from home).  

Many thanks and sincerest apologies.

Richard

I've had times in recent weeks where the site wasn't accessible to me. All the sites like http://downoruprightnow.com/status/www.cpukforum.com show cpuk as being down at the moment, but I can see it fine. I don't use googles DNS server though, I'm using FreeDNS, but if I switch to Googles DNS server and flush the DNS cache, I can still see it OK. 

Whois lists http://198.55.96.143 as cpuk's IP address. If the problem is the DNS server you should be able to access the site by using the IP address link above but that doesn't work for me...

Whereas - http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.cpukforum.com

Shows it as up.  I opened the original post under this name 'DNS problems with CPUK' which hurriedly got locked by admin....hmmm.

Seems pretty obviously a DNS issue which is why some sites/people see it as down.  If you add the ip address above  (198.55.96.143) to your hosts file you can work around the DNS problems.  From a very quick look on some online tools, it seems the only issue is a missing SOA record which *might* be the reason some DNS servers including Googles are not listing the domain.  Or it may have been dropped for some other reason.

Guys I'm sorry this problem is still going on. We have asked tech support to fix it several times. I also regret locking the original post (although I can't unlock it from my phone, which. Is my only access at the minute, as the function isn't available). The reason I locked the post is as I said, to prevent people inadvertently posting any of their secure details on here. But seeing as this thread is open, sure do whatever you wish with my blessing. I'll get the Society back onto tech support again today.

Regards

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, picol said:

Yesterday had some problems, two or three times, today is good.

11 hours ago, Karsty said:

I get the same thing on a regular basis here near London UK.

It should be working now.  Can you please confirm whether or not you're still having issues?

I have recently been having problems posting in topics, replying to messages etc. This is confined to my laptop only, the iPad works fine, using it to post this. Worked ok for the last auction I entered (448) and my reply to Sheila and Andy. Since then problems. Andy posted a message to me, I was able to read but not reply.

4 hours ago, Keith said:

I have recently been having problems posting in topics, replying to messages etc. This is confined to my laptop only, the iPad works fine, using it to post this. Worked ok for the last auction I entered (448) and my reply to Sheila and Andy. Since then problems. Andy posted a message to me, I was able to read but not reply.

Hi Keith

I emailed you earlier looking for information.  Did you get my email?

6 hours ago, Keith said:

Morning Richard....no email received from you. However, At the moment I am obviously able to reply here....it's all beyond me, where did the ZX81 go?

I have a problem with the emails now. I think this one's my doing though.  I'm trying to get it sorted so I'm sorry you didn't get my email.  What's the ZX81 that you're referring to?