Growing Nepenthes from seed, for example

Karsty

Hi Folks,

I'm getting a bit desperate! A while ago I acquired this fully glazed fridge with one side smashed. I thought, "Hey, ultra highland Nepenthes!!!" so with great enthusiasm I embarked on a mission to fix it and sell it with a reasonable profit. So many weeks later, after discovering that to have a new double glazed unit fitted would cost £200, I opted for the basic repair, single glazed, toughened glass, £75.

So it is sitting in my small flat, and I keep tripping over it. If I had the time and space I would probably use it to grow Nepenthes villosa or some such other exotic from seed. It's got LED lighting already quite profusely inside it. I've had the top off it, and it would be possible to rig up the lights and refrigeration independently to timers, and I'm sure you could also add lights if necessary. It is really well built, being made for pub use. It has a low energy usage, being marketed as an "eco-cooler". It's got 3 removable shelves. When the refrigeration is on the 2 fans make a bit of a whooshing noise so you may have to be cautious about having it in a sleeping area.

I've posted it up here a couple of times, and I've got it on eBay. But nobody wants it! Seriously folks, can none of you make use of this at all???

Bewildered Karsty.

Edited by Karsty

I can see a couple of potential issues.

Very few people (virtually none in the UK) have ultra highland seed.

The fridge is realistically (far) too small for most nepenthes.

A greenhouse outside is fine for ultra-highlanders.

All things considered, i think your target market is somewhat small to none-existent and most people capable of growing an ultra-highlander already have large greenhouses.