Advise needed.

Craig Malcolm Gibbon

Hi Group,

I'm about to set up my first bog garden for a few, 3,  VFT clones. I have a standard shaped  plastic flower pot which is 40 cms large. Would you guys advise about drilling a hole about 2 inches from the top to drain the excess water out? The pot does not have any drainage holes in it.  

Regards 

Craig 

You don't need any drainage holes in a bog garden. You can drill some close to the top as you were already planning to do if you don't want the pot to overflow after heavy rainfall, but it isn't necessary if you don't have any plants (like Pinguicula) that could float away. One thing I would note is, because your pot is relatively small, it's more likely to freeze in winter, so you should keep it somewhere it's less likely to freeze when it gets cold - this could even be in an unheated room in your house. Otherwise not much you can do wrong, just keep the soil as wet as you can.

2 hours ago, Karsty said:

I would drill the holes 6 inches from the top.

What would that accomplish other than requiring the moss/peat/etc to wick the water up fifteen cm before it reaches the top? And what would the charcoal do?

Most carnivorous plants like their roots wet, but not actually underwater, hence the drainage holes. Dionaea don't normally have their roots actually underwater in habitat. For example, Drosera intermedia is an exception, and is always found literally sitting in water.

The charcoal absorbs large organic molecules, including smelly ones. It's a long standing tradition to use it in certain parts of the pot, that's all I can claim. It keeps things "sweet". I'm sure it is not actually necessary (~8

Whilst they are bog plants, drainage plays a big part in the induction and introduction of oxygen into the soil during rainfall. Innundation of plants isnt in itself bad but prolonged submersion robs the roots of oxygen and can promote anaerobic conditions which can kill the plants, so drain holes below the growing length of the roots is a good idea and the bigger the pot the better.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the constructive advise. I plan on getting a plasterers bath, 4 foot x 2 foot x foot deep,  in a few weeks and fitting a tap at the bottom to drain the excess water from time to time and to bring fresh air to the roots.  This pot however is just for a short while until I can get everything sorted.

So I've set up the pot, which I plan to use for a season or two. Basically, upturned pot to act as a water reservoir, with peat and grit mix placed on top. Halfway up the side of the pot, I've drilled two small holes. So far, the mix is constantly damp and the excess water just drains from the two holes. 

Keep you guys posted....

Craig